This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Please help. Handstand Bridge Modification

Started by Ryan Bailey, May 12, 2016 · 2 Replies · 130 Views

Ryan Bailey

I have to be honest. Held off on elevated bridge (due to competitive, flexed, lat-strength focussed competitive sports... previously paddling ocean 50k races in the seated outrigger canoe position) until shoulder flexion ROM was adequate, because in the chronic, lat-tight adult, it all goes to the Lumbar spine with elevated bridge work! You know, the final exercises of thoracic bridge series.

 So, I held up at inverted cat and finally modified back-handstand approach. Question:

1) is it OK to continue with Modified back Handstand, elevated bridge as pictured here, or should I stop the thoracic bridge stretch series with supplemental inverted cat to try and get some thoracic extension?

I would appreciate specific help as I have been doing this stretch series for some time now and have been very careful in slowly progressing.

Thank you!

Alessandro Mainente

You are welcome to move the feet lower since you can move both shoulders and chest over the wrists.

Ryan Bailey

Thanks Alessandro. I was curious as to what you are looking for in regards to thoracic spine extension when advancing elevated bridge, as I seem to have none. I understand it is the whole arc we are looking at and I believe if the Lumbar spine is not being hammered, and shoulders/chest over hands, than lowering is appropriate.

 I really like inverted cat stretch for thoracic and shoulders. Thanks again for the feeback, I will slowly progress lower. (Side note: I just don't feel a need to rush this. Elevated feels like an incredible stretch already.)