This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Scapular Depression + Retraction

Started by Ian Gibson, May 11, 2016 · 5 Replies · 143 Views

Ian Gibson

Recently I've discovered a really big weak point for me: depression (specifically while retracting). I find my shoulders creeping up towards my ears in several exercises no matter how hard I try to fight it. I've had to regress to Incline Scapular Shrugs at hip height and Seated Hinge Row Holds. My Incline Pushups are ok around mid thigh height, but I can't maintain depression at knee height yet.

I guess I'm just looking to vent and ask for help. It's too late for the blue pill so I might as well just enjoy the ride. This might be the first time I've ever asked my body to do this, so I'm sure it will come with time, but it's frustrating being held back by something that seems so simple. Has anyone else struggled with this? Any advice? 

Eva Pelegrin

Yes, think about all the Table movements in FL/PE2-6>iM as a great training tool and an opportunity to practice in a very controlled environment. Later, Crab Walk, although more advance due to its dynamic nature.

Remember, having a strength "weak link" here and there is easier to target and less of a hassle than having huge mobility deficits, so perhaps you're in better shape than you think. ;)

Jon Douglas

For me no magic bullets, just consistent self correction, especially in supine shoulder stretches. I found it useful to hold a stick so i could set my scap position and externally rotate my arms, then get the stretch on.

Its a bit humbling at but you must accept only range in which the function is correct if you want to train correct articulation in :)

Ryan Bailey

 

2 hours ago, Jon Douglas said:

supine shoulder stretches. I found it useful to hold a stick so i could set my scap position and externally rotate my arms, then get the stretch on.

Jon, I find I Scap elevate and protract Scap in supine position. Rotate humerus to press glenohumeral joint anterior... ie, Inverted cat, correct?  

Jon Douglas

Supine, with chest facing up and hands supporting on floor, is what i meant :)

cf. A 'stretched table ' position if you like.

Leonhard Krahé

Ian,

I was and still am having the same problem, although maybe to a lesser degree. What has really been helpful for me was doing a good amount of shrugs in different positions, i.e. hanging, pb support, front support, bottom position of a row, per recommendation by @Jon Douglas.