Iarov's Power"back"Handspring

Started by Jacob Marks, November 9, 2009 · 6 Replies · 2,142 Views

Jacob Marks

Coach Sommer

I was wondering if you could please explain what makes the Canadian Team tumble so strongly and if has to do with the backhandspring Coach Iarov teaches. His students Shewfelt and O Neil are amazing gymnast and have a high class way of doing floor. I heard it is also safer on the ankle tendon? Thank you for any insights into this technique would be much appreciated.

Thanks Again

Blairbob

Can you describe his method of BHS? I wasn't aware he was teaching a different style of BHS at all. I'll look at some video of the Canadians later.

Gregor

You mean those with bent elbows???

I would implant them if I would only to elites.

Jacob Marks

I believe Liukin and Dragalescu perform this type backhandspring also. I think it involves shortening the backhandspring by planching somewhat....I also viewed a presentation on his methods of planning. It said that he trains optionals skills on floor once a week, while continuing floor basics 6 days a week.

I also read that he believes you needs to learn front tumbling first, starting with headspring then bounders. Last to start from a lunge . As a coach I know teaching a proper lunge or mountain climber out of a a run to a young level 4 can be fun! Any thoughts and coaching experiences shared would be appreciated, Thanks All!

Jacob Marks

http://gymnasticscoaching.com/new/2009/ ... es-injury/

Ville on 03.25.09 at 12:50 am

In my opinion we shouldn’t blame the apparatus for the injuries, altough it’s really good to see manufacturers paying more attention to these things.

I think that our technique is a lot bigger problem. Most of us are trying to teach/do flics and roundoffs with a “long†snapdown/korbet which puts a lot of pressure to the ankles. I know it’s a good technique but it is replacable with an even more powerful and less “dangerous†technique. Called the “power handspring†by Canadian national coach Eduard Iarov. It’s the same handspring that most of the tumblers and the best gymnasts use. It’s really powerful in the biomechanical sense and reduces the risk of injury significantly.

Check out Justin Spring, Kyle Shewfelt and Valery Liukin, they’re all using this technique and if I recall right so is Dragulescu

Sternford

tFeMlpAC6v0

Around 35 seconds. Very closed shoulders, is that what you mean?

Blairbob

Hmm, this is the same style of back handspring Mas Watanabe has talked about for years since the newer spring floors. Basically a back handspring that turns over more for vertical rather than horizontal amplitude.

http://gymsmartscommunity.com/maswatanabe/2009/03/15/back-handspring-technique/

http://gymsmartscommunity.com/maswatanabe/2009/04/02/back-handspring-part-2/

http://gymsmartscommunity.com/maswatanabe/2009/04/16/back-handspring-technique-2/

I was told Mas teaches a BHS as you are talking about but I would need to re-read those 3 articles to see if we are on the same page.