This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Question regarding progressions & mastery

Started by Nazim Kilic, May 10, 2016 · 6 Replies · 116 Views

Nazim Kilic

Hello,

If I am at the last step of progressions for an exercise, but then fail to accomplish real mastery (maybe because the iM isn't as good as it should be, maybe because the form is not perfect yet because of lacking mobility, should I then keep cycling the last 4 steps over and over until I master it? Or just repeat the last step of the exercise except for the deload weeks?

And a related question: should I even go to the next step of an exercise if the form is not as it should be?

Alessandro Mainente

You should complete mastery for PE and adequate mobility range of motion in order to more forward. 

Completing only one of these 2 milestones is not enough to move to the next exercise.

Giovanni Garcea

Every step should mastered perfectly before moving to the next. Basically, you have to prove mastery for each step before moving to the next. That's my understanding.

Cory Fair
19 minutes ago, Giovanni Garcea said:

Every step should mastered perfectly before moving to the next. Basically, you have to prove mastery for each step before moving to the next. That's my understanding.

Spot on. 

Keegan Yentsch

As far as whether to cycle the final "4 week training block" or just continue to repeat week 11 (and week 12 on the deload weeks), that is somewhat a matter of preference and how difficult week 11 is for you. 

If it's a maximal effort, then I'd probably cycle the weeks. If it's sub-maximal, then you should be fine just repeating it (either way I do 5 sets of the mobility exercise if that's the bottleneck though).

Hope this helps. Good luck

Nazim Kilic
10 hours ago, Giovanni Garcea said:

Every step should mastered perfectly before moving to the next. Basically, you have to prove mastery for each step before moving to the next. That's my understanding.

Thanks for the reply. It's a helpful way of thinking, each step as a mastery in itself.

9 hours ago, Keegan Yentsch said:

As far as whether to cycle the final "4 week training block" or just continue to repeat week 11 (and week 12 on the deload weeks), that is somewhat a matter of preference and how difficult week 11 is for you. 

If it's a maximal effort, then I'd probably cycle the weeks. If it's sub-maximal, then you should be fine just repeating it (either way I do 5 sets of the mobility exercise if that's the bottleneck though).

Hope this helps. Good luck

Thanks that was really helpful.

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

Keep working with the deload weeks. They give your body more time to repair itself and give you a workout to complete regardless of how easy they seem.