This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Finally Starting F1|H1 - Accountability

Started by Stephan Ralescu, May 9, 2016 · 7 Replies · 305 Views

Stephan Ralescu

Hi Everyone,

I'm finally starting F1|H1.  I completed by first training today.  Even though I found it easy (I've been practicing Ashtanga Yoga for years), I am going through the program from the beginning until I can do every step easy.  I'm listening to Coach Sommer's interview on Tim Ferris' blog, and I want to restructure step by step.

I'm writing here to establish some accountability - I've quit before mainly because I was too lazy to program and schedule. 

Best to all and Thanks to Coach Sommer and the GB team.

Stephan

Giovanni Garcea

Cool choice. The latest workout scheduler updates makes things much easier in term to program and schedule.

Björn Bechstein

Hi,

I'm finally starting F1|H1 too.

If i train H1 and F1 in one workout, what shoud i do first, Handstand or Foundation?

 

Eva Pelegrin

Hi Stephan, 
Welcome back! We'll keep you accountable.;) Make sure to post form checks, when ready.

Björn, 
Handstand first since it's skill work. Depending on what kind of F1 schedule you follow, it could be a looong workout, if you're planning to do HS+ F1 back to back, so be ready to clock in some time.:o 

I think that at the beginning is best to start with Foundations and experiment with what schedule split will work best for you. Starting a new program is a big deal and you need to make extra time to do it properly. I only started with Foundations. At first, I was only playing around with H1 in my free time here and there, without attempting to make it part of my schedule right away. I'll explain why. It took me a few weeks to get "situated" and I'm a movement professional. The sooner you can establish a consistent Foundations schedule, the easier it will be to add H1, or Stretch Series and beyond. After all, if you cannot be consistent with Foundations nothing else will stick!

This has been my experience, after a lot of trial and error (in life) and coaching many people who insist on starting more than one thing at a time and inevitably find themselves overwhelmed or can't continue, mostly due to not taking incremental steps... I'm not saying you're one of them. Simply trying to save you some time and frustration. In any event, I recommend looking at your "schedule" as a "work of art in the making," which will evolve as you get familiar with F1 content and introduce new GB elements. Good day and good training!

Stephan Ralescu

Thanks for the responsives. I will post form checks!   

Day two is done.  

Reflections:

So most the PE1s seem "easy". So I make it about something else.  Staying connected. Being aware and absolutely focused on the form, my breath, any superfluous tension or lack of needed tension in my body.  

Some surprise me - MN/PE1>iM Stiff Leg windmill - is my left shoulder really that weak?  By the 5th set the answer is no - my mind is simply disconnected. During the movement I sense more awareness - the hand stays over the shoulder, the movement smooth, more relaxed. 

I can feel my ego revolting: "press into handstand! Bust out some pull-ups!  Deep back bends!"  Remember what you used to do!

Before the wrist broke.  Before the shoulders started randomly cry out.  The last straw were the elbows.  

Take it slow, I tell myself. Try to stay humble.  Coach Sommer said on the podcast that it takes 90 days to change muscle and 210 days to change connective tissue.  Elsewhere I read it takes 6 months to change the nervous system. 

Got to stay humble, take it slow and do this right.  

Björn Bechstein

Hi Eva,

thx a lot for your extensive aswer. Appreciate that!

Good day and good training! :)

Björn

Steven Silbert
On 5/10/2016 at 0:32 PM, Stephan Ralescu said:

Thanks for the responsives. I will post form checks!   

Day two is done.  

Reflections:

So most the PE1s seem "easy". So I make it about something else.  Staying connected. Being aware and absolutely focused on the form, my breath, any superfluous tension or lack of needed tension in my body.  

Some surprise me - MN/PE1>iM Stiff Leg windmill - is my left shoulder really that weak?  By the 5th set the answer is no - my mind is simply disconnected. During the movement I sense more awareness - the hand stays over the shoulder, the movement smooth, more relaxed. 

I can feel my ego revolting: "press into handstand! Bust out some pull-ups!  Deep back bends!"  Remember what you used to do!

Before the wrist broke.  Before the shoulders started randomly cry out.  The last straw were the elbows.  

Take it slow, I tell myself. Try to stay humble.  Coach Sommer said on the podcast that it takes 90 days to change muscle and 210 days to change connective tissue.  Elsewhere I read it takes 6 months to change the nervous system. 

Got to stay humble, take it slow and do this right.  

Well said. I'm coming back to F1/H1 after a year long break. The time I did this program consistently is the best I have ever felt in my life. I'm inspired to see others posting for accountability and think I should do the same. All I can say is, stick with it and you won't regret it. I'm on day two since my sabbatical and and looking forward to the burn. Good luck sir!

Stephan Ralescu

Last week was a logistical pain.  I train in an apartment in my makeshift living room gym, and there was a lot of moving around.  Poor internet and I couldn't access the Dashboard.  Had to do things the old fashioned way.

I practice Ashtanga yoga and swim too and I'm pleasantly surprised at the relatively quick and beneficial influence of the early PE's.

Took mastery on some things and its very interesting to see where it feels easy and where suddenly it feels disproportionally more difficult.  For example, FL PE1, HBP PE1 and PE2 were pretty capable (easy, in a way).  Fl PE3 and HBP PE3 feel much harder.  

Anyway, I'm heading home to train.