This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Tight quads

Started by Tomas Johansson, May 8, 2016 · 5 Replies · 210 Views

Tomas Johansson

I have ok hamstring flexibility and can feel the stretch deeply in those muscles. However, on the quads and hipflexors I can't get that nice deep stretch feeling, what I get is more of a shallow, burning feeling, almost like the muscles/skin are about to snap. Is this normal? Anything I can do besides sticking to the program?

Douglas Wadle

Been there, Thomas!  You could consider doing some foam rolling or deep tissue massage to those tissues, especially prior to your stretch program.  It may speed up your progress.  Also try just sitting in the couch stretch position while watching TV or reading and get more used to the position.  Good luck.

Tomas Johansson

Thanks! I was thinking of doing some foamrolling, will try that plus some extra stretching as you said.

Maksis Riley

I personally used to feel no stretch in my quads no matter what stretch I was doing but I knew my quads were tight due to some embarrassing knee flexion ROM. I just kept with the stretches and now they feel really intense and beneficial (still have pretty awful knee flexion but it has improved).

 

I am starting to learn that the answer for most of these questions is more often than not; patience, just keep going <_<:lol:

 

At least it has been for me. The more I've let go of trying to figure things out and just trusted the process the more things have fallen into place.

 

Max

Ben Neal

I have very tight quads and hip flexors (and everything else)

I am trying an experiment at the moment working on a group intensively over about ten days and then moving onto the next one.

At the moment I am doing four minute timed couch stretch of each quad daily. Its a big muscle and can take the duration and frequency. I am also working on taking on the tightest points first.

I am also using the GST stretch series once a week (although I have slacked of recently) and also some of Kit Laughlins stuff

David Beckerman

I used to have really sore knees. There are two things that keep this at bay for me and that is FSs and natural leg extensions. 

My week link is just above my knee and these things help them feel lose. Not sure if these will help you too, I feel like I experience the same as you.