This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Pancake Shoulder Issue

Started by Mitchell Rabushka, May 8, 2016 · 14 Replies · 334 Views

Mitchell Rabushka

My shoulder mobility is really bad on this one.  The athlete looks like she is able to roll her shoulder back as she stretches her arm over her head and leans to the side.  I need to roll my shoulder forward as I stretch my arm over my head and lean to the side.

Is there a modification of this stretch to help me get the mobility I need in my shoulder?

Mark Collins

Can you post a video?

Jonas Berglund

Borrowing this thread.. this is my leak exercise in the MS-series too. Elevated it by sitting up on 2 blocks but i only feel discomfort in the lats/oblique/shoulder and cant lean/twist much at all. Moving forward, should i  keep elevating myself up on more blocks until i feel a better stretch or is there any Other  modifications?

Alessandro Mainente

Actually the primarily goal it is the pancake so no other modifications, the lats involvement will persist always no matter how much you elevate the  butt. you need to release also them.

Mitchell Rabushka

Should I roll my shoulder back and only go down as far as possible with a rolled back shoulder?

Everett Carroll

Can you please post a video? It is easiest for us to provide form modifications with a visual. 

Jonas Berglund
On 2016-12-23 at 11:01 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Actually the primarily goal it is the pancake so no other modifications, the lats involvement will persist always no matter how much you elevate the  butt. you need to release also them.

This make sense,, i did the shoulder Pancake on the floor (no block) last session and Actually found it easier on My lats, could get closer with My ear to knee this way.

Jonas Berglund

Revisiting this thread, this is defenitely a leak exercise for me.. My left Oblique/lats are so tight.. when i put a strap around My foot to get some pull from the Hamstrings, My Tight Oblique/lats on oposite side goes into pain mode. Is it ok to just dump the strap and try to lean/twist as Much as i can pain free? 

At the moment i am not  close to reaching the foot with My hand. Are the straps more suitable when i come Closer?

 

Other side much better, should i work My weak side in the daily limbering?

thanks

Alessandro Mainente

HI Jonas, yes the straps it is a good idea IF and ONLY IF it is used in the correct way, this means that the upper body must be twisted and the flexed on the leg. I suggest holding the stretch on the tight side one minute more at the end of the stretch series.

Jonas Berglund
21 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

HI Jonas, yes the straps it is a good idea IF and ONLY IF it is used in the correct way, this means that the upper body must be twisted and the flexed on the leg. I suggest holding the stretch on the tight side one minute more at the end of the stretch series.

THanks for Feedback Alessandro, i know what you mean because on My better side(where i get deeper) I feel the strap is really helpful. However, should I skip the strap on my good side aswell until they are both evenly mobile?

Everett Carroll

Hi Jonas,

As a general rule, it is best to keep symmetry, or work towards it. Restrict the ROM on your more mobile side to the capabilities of your tighter side. I prefer to still perform the stretch but simply match up the sides. 

Jonas Berglund

I appreciate it @Everett Carroll and @Alessandro Mainente. 

One last question, since blocks or strap doesnt help me to scale this exercise. Doing none of them I dont feel the stretch. Are there any Other way to scale this one?

Everett Carroll

Can you post a video of your form on the blocks, Jonas? The best scaling option is sitting on as many blocks as necessary to achieve an upright position with anterior pelvic tilt before initiating the stretch. 

Jonas Berglund
37 minutes ago, Everett Carroll said:

Can you post a video of your form on the blocks, Jonas? The best scaling option is sitting on as many blocks as necessary to achieve an upright position with anterior pelvic tilt before initiating the stretch. 

Everett,, in My (short) experience with this exercise. The blocks does help hips to get in position. However,, twisting my upper body against the opposite foot does not get easier by using blocks.. I only tryed once so maybe im wrong, or? 

I Will post a formcheck here soon Everett, today im to sore,, hope its nothing serious, I only slammed My head into the wall Once i mean hehe :)

Alessandro Mainente

HI Jonas can you provide a video of how you are going to use the strap?