This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hip pinch :(

Started by Julia Quigley, May 7, 2016 · 17 Replies · 350 Views

Julia Quigley

Hey guys! A couple weeks ago I started noticing some pain in the front of my hip (in the crease area), after my F1 workouts. Wasn't bad, but just uncomfortable enough it made some of my usual sleeping positions uncomfortable. It was always gone the day after the workout. Wasn't sure what activity was chasing it.

And then, bam! I felt it during SLS squats today (about 10 reps in). Skiers didn't aggravate it, so I finished them no problem.

Any ideas what is causing it/what I should do to fix it? I have a form check video posted that was approved, if you want to check it out.

Also, I know there's no diagnosis online. But checking with the very experienced and knowledgeable community for leads :)

 

Ryan Reynolds

I have had a list of weird pains crop up while working on F1 as well.  Something similar to what your describing was one of them last summer felt it most in MNPE1 and the next day when walking to work in the morning.  Can't tell you what it was but it went away after a two week break from training for a family camping trip. 

A part of your body is telling you its not fully recovering from the stress you are putting it under.  Make sure your eating enough, sleeping enough and dial back the stressors.  I know pretty generic prescription but there are no negative side effects.

I've found since changing my focus to Stretch series (huge weakness) + making sure I'm eating enough + sleeping enough, my body feels awesome.  Added bonus I haven't lost a racquetball match in two months. 

Julia Quigley

Broad prescription, yes, but also the most effective prescription for most not-serious injuries :)

I keep hearing such great things about the stretch series, and it's on my list to do..but I'm just not sure how to schedule everything! If I picked up all three in the stretch series, I'd have to decrease my foundation workouts to a two week split (Doing F7 twice a week is undoubtedly better; I'm just not sure I can hack it). 

Leonhard Krahé
1 hour ago, Julia Quigley said:

Broad prescription, yes, but also the most effective prescription for most not-serious injuries :)

I keep hearing such great things about the stretch series, and it's on my list to do..but I'm just not sure how to schedule everything! If I picked up all three in the stretch series, I'd have to decrease my foundation workouts to a two week split (Doing F7 twice a week is undoubtedly better; I'm just not sure I can hack it). 

Julia,

sorry I can't offer any insight on your original question but I can only recommend starting the stretch courses! I am doing all three and F7 twice per week. What really helped me was cutting back and only doing the Bridge series once a week and then alternating between the other two. This gives the other ones more time to recover from and I can fit two better into my week than three which again enables me to follow the stretch courses more persistently. Sure, progress may be slower than if I did each once a week but I'm not constantly sore (the bad kind of...) and I am still seeing progress just because it's easier on the mind.

Is this making any sense?

Sean Wood

Julia, come on in...the water is real nice. The stretch programs will change your game. Can't remember the last time I had back tweaks or shoulder night pain.  Dont' worry about how to fit it in, you will trust me, once your start and see. sounds like your body is asking you to change your focus a bit and shore up the weaknesses.  Experiment a bit and break up your foundations a bit. More and more isn't always better for everyone. I like my split as I come fresh to every session now. If like me, you may find you will have times that you want to do those routines than foundation just because how your body will feel afterwards. I no longer feel foundations is the be all end all. I know now to succeed at this point I also needed the stretch programs. Any interview Coach does echoes the same I think. 

Julia Quigley

Great input, guys. Looks like I'm budgeting for some new programming!

@Coach Sommer, how does it feel to create a program so good your students are your best salesmen?? ;) 

Mark Collins

When you believe in something and know it works it is natural to want others to have the same benefit.

Mark Collins

It does not look the deck squats are the problem. How is your hip mobility? How much sitting in a chair do you do each day? 

Julia Quigley

I do a fair amount of sitting (desk job), but I've been standing more during the day. When I'm really focused, I alternate 45 minutes of sitting work and 45 minutes of standing desk work. 

Mark Collins

That is a lot of sitting. Ideally you need to get uo every 20 minutes. How mich anterior hip stretching are you doing? How much walking per day? How much sitting on the floor?

Julia Quigley

Oh man, I'm clearly failing this test! Every 20 minutes?? I hadn't heard that metric before, and I'm not sure how I could get work done moving so often! I'll give it a go, though. 

My hip stretching is pretty sporadic. When I work my front split they get stretched, but I don't stretch my hips regularly. 

I don't walk much (I work from home).  I have sat on the floor previously when the floor was carpeted. I don't now because it's hard wood, but I could sit on my yoga mat. 

I usually sit criss-cross-apple   sauce or with my legs stretched out in front of me (both in my chair or on the floor), but I'd love suggestions for other options while I'm working.

 

Mark Collins

You are killing your potential progress with all that sitting.

This is a good article for you to read. http://edition.cnn.com/2015/08/06/health/how-to-move-more/

I would suggest buying a soft rug to sit on. I recently bought the most expensive carpet with the softest underlay just so I can stretch and sit on the floor. The sales rep was thought I was odd because I said the most important thing I was looking for was something I can stretch on.

You need to vary your sitting postures as much as possible.

You also need at least 10000 steps a day in flat shoes. This is 10000 times that your hips will extend each day. You sound like you are living in hip flexion most if the time. No wonder you felt something in the front if your hip.

Mark Collins

This diagram shows how people sit and stand in various cultures around the world. These are positions of rest and are not considered stretches or exercises. Us westerners only rest in a chair and we mould into this shape. 

Play around with these resting positions. Use cushions to make it more comfortable until the body adapts.

Julia Quigley

Thanks for all your help, Mark!!!

Good article. I'm familiar with how bad sitting is for us (and that other cultures don't sit nearly as much as we do!), I just didn't realize that cutting my sitting time in half wasn't nearly enough. 

I don't have a device that counts my steps, so I'm not sure attaining 10,000 steps is a goal I can try to tackle right now, but I can try to get more steps in than I currently am. I've got two adorable dogs who would love to go for a walk ;)

For sitting positions, the picture you posted isn't showing up :( Could you provide a link? Or maybe use tinypic to upload it? I'd love to see some other sitting positions. If the goal is to be in hip extension more during the day, kneeling might be a good possibility.

When I stand while working I move around a lot (wide stance, narrow stance, alternating feet resting on top of a nearby chair, etc.). So this morning I've added in a kind of flat-footed warrior I pose to to put my hip in extension, and I gotta say, it made me realize how just how out of whack my hips have gotten! Once my back foot was straight ahead and my hips were squared, it honestly felt like my back leg was crazy internally rotated.. If I closed my eyes, I would have thought my right leg's toes were pointed to my left leg. When I put my back leg in what "feels" like a straight ahead neutral position, it was actually externally rotated. 

I'm guessing all that sitting with my legs externally rotated has skewed "normal."

Sean Wood

Hey Julia,

marks suggestion are awesome. The gold we get here is never ending. Good for me as well.

If you start feeling overwhelmed with where to start or what add just use the Thrive ideaology. Make a list of goals for your daily work week in posture changes you'd like to try and do one a week every day and only add another (or change it to another)  once you successfully (honestly lol) did them for that week. Just like the nutrition course. Just a thought...and in fact good advice for myself to be honest  

Failing that I do a fair amount of sitting throughout my day as well, mostly driving, and I believe the stretch courses is helping to combat this. I can feel way more agile and loose getting in and out of the vehicle. So at the least if work options are not feasible at this time get the course and start doing something when you train . You WILL notice the difference. Good luck 

Julia Quigley

Thanks for the perspective, Sean! I don't feel overwhelmed yet, but I do a love good gradual/behavioral approach to change :)

Between some modification to my typical routines and adding in the stretch course...I'm going to be right as rain! (I hope!).

Mark Collins

If you cannot count steps then aim for a total of 90 mins walking. It is best to break this up rather than do one big walk.

image.png

Julia Quigley

Great ideas in that photo. Thanks for all your help, Mark! I'll spend more time with hip extension and walk more, and report back :)