Drills for round off

Started by Ben Neal, May 6, 2016 · 8 Replies · 5,172 Views

Ben Neal

Hi

Can anyone give me or provide links for drill to improve round off. I'm really frustrated by the time its taking me to improve

I am working F1 and mobility for shoulders and pan cake

There are many things I know are poor - crossing my foot over the line, hand position, shoulders not open properly, short lunge, but I am persevering at my weekly class

What I really want is some stuff I can do at home

 

Many Thanks

 

Ben

Alessandro Mainente

Firs think you need to achieve high quality round off is handstand. how is your handstand?

Ben Neal

Not great to be honest.  I am working hollow body and shoulder mobility and doing some handstand against wall trying to get a better line

Alessandro Mainente

Personally no round off should be trained without a decent handstand. bad form will compromise technical execution.

Coach Sommer

As the roundoff is a advanced cartwheel variation, basic cartwheels must also be mastered before focused roundoff training can be effective.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Alexander Egebak

To reiterate what people said here; a solid handstand and cartwheel are essential.

Ben Neal

Thanks for the replies. 

So is the recommended action to start a dedicated handstand practice running in parallel? 

I have H1 but it's slow going and I don't want to stop my classes.  Will the handstand stuff just gradually improve the tumbling stuff?

Coach Sommer

The handstand work can and should run simultaneously with the tumbling.

First master basic rolls.

Second master basic cartwheel variations.

Third master roundoff.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer