This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Stuck on MN/PE2 - Go back in steps or go back to PE1?

Started by Cameron Williams, May 5, 2016 · 7 Replies · 256 Views

Cameron Williams

I suppose this is a broader question than just MN/PE2, but I'm wondering, how do I know whether to move back a few steps in the PE, or to just move back a whole PE, down to PE1 again?

I've been on MN/PE2 since Sept. 2014, and still feel pretty far away from mastery. I've made progress in that time, but when I do I decide that I'm beating a dead horse?

My recent experience in being stuck on RC/PE1 for ages (which I finally broke through by adjusting form, using GB Pro+, and doing half-volume sets on off-days) taught me that a plateau can be overcome by bearing down and adjusting my weekly volume and workout intensity. But by and large, the factor in this exercise for me was increasing volume.

With the MN/PE2, there's a whole active mobility component that I wasn't facing in RC/PE1, and I feel (no pun intended) hamstrung by this :D

So when you're in a position where you've mastered PE1, but can't do gold standard reps of PE2 due to a lack of mobility, what do you do?

Do I keep plugging away with the best ROM I can muster? Or should I go back to PE1 and increase my volume by doing 5x20r or 5x25r or 5x30r?

And to answer the forthcoming questions, yes I'm using GB Pro+, I'm doing Thrive, my sleep is as good as I can get it, I've been doing all 3 stretch courses since they came out, I'm doing the compression exercises in warmup, and I'm praying to the old gods and the new.

What say you??

Also, here's my current form on MN/PE2:

Cheers in advance,

Cam

Maksis Riley

In what way are you stuck? I'm no moderator but to me they look pretty nice. I would maybe try and fix the flexing of the ankle but other than that they are smooth with decent ROM. Is it a case that you burn out and can't maintain it for all of your sets? If so then it sounds like you could implement what worked for you with your hinge rows?

 

Max

 

 

Cameron Williams

Thanks guys! I thought compared to the F1 video that my ROM wasn't even close. The athlete in the course video seems to have a far more compressed "V" at the top of the motion than I do.

But if you say it's sufficient, I'll take it!

I just need to work on volume from here on in then.

May the Lord of Light bless my hip flexors.

Cam

 

 

Petri Widsten

I also think you have mastery form but if you want to get closer to the level of compression demonstrated in the course video you may want to consider those weighted pancakes Jon was raving about some time ago for improving passive flexibility. I started doing them (thanks, Jon!) with an Olympic bar and I can see my chest approaching the floor.

Cameron Williams

Petri - will do! Do you add these at the end of your middle split day? What weight did you start with?

Petri Widsten

Actually I do these on one of my F1 days to get two pancake sessions per week. I warm up with normal pancakes first till I can get my head to the floor while pulling from a fixed object. It's important to make sure you have a strong APT and are then pushing your butt back rather than bending from the lumbar spine. It may be a good idea to warm up with some dislocate type of movement too if the bar is heavy. I started with a 20 kg bar as the lighter bars were all too short.

Arpad Halasz

You can also grab your legs with your hands in the top position and pull your legs toward your torso while balancing on your butt. Once you've reached your maximum compression remove your hands from the legs and try to hold the position without dropping the legs. You can do the same for PE3 with your feet together, in yoga we call it boat pose or "navasana" (static V-up). Here's a nice video to give you an idea:

 

Petri Widsten

Yes, I like to train those for the V-ups though I keep my hands by my feet for a static hold or for reps I lower hands and feet slightly then pull back to the top. Teaches control and works the abs.