This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sPL/PE6 Form check

Started by Eva Pelegrin, May 5, 2016 · 11 Replies · 266 Views

Eva Pelegrin

Started working on my elevated PLL. What do you think about the height of the steps? More, less, or OK as is?

I hope to be leaning more in future passes. Now this is it. In leaning forward I’ve been spontaneously tipping my support base. As you can see, I don’t have much weight under my feet. I think that’s the idea, but not sure if the tipping and balancing aspect should be avoided.
Also, starting to notice, does the protraction/depression work in a quasi inverse proportion to the amount of your lean?

 

Cole Dano

I'm with Zack on this, though I was/am recommending you cycle the two, I was expecting you'd stay on the floor for at least 4 weeks before moving up.

Eva Pelegrin

Hello Boss!
I had a bigger lean on the floor. Maybe I misunderstood. I was under the impression that I would continue to perform the multiple pass thu method per Cole's post on my PE5:  Paraphrasing: find a lean you can reasonably maintain (PE5), build it to 5x30s, the move to the elevated lean. Then, come back to the floor and lean further starting form step one and so on.

 

Cole Dano

Read my post above.

Eva Pelegrin

Cole,
Just to be clear, in addition to the 4 weeks I did in PE5 @ 30s x 5, you're saying 4 more weeks now of PE5. I'm happy to do whatever you tell me to do. Sorry if I misunderstood. So far I've done 8 weeks total of PLL (since I started) and tomorrow it would be 2 weeks of elevated PLL. 

Eva Pelegrin

Oh, ah, I see what you mean now about the cycling order of priorities: lean > deeper lean > elevated lean. Rinse & repeat. Got it. Thanks for clarifying!!

No need to say more, except for: I really appreciate the guidance you’re both providing. I’m a "first things first” person. I don’t even want to think about the amount of otherwise ‘wasted' time that you guys are saving me! I’m all ears. Thank YOU.

I hear you about the bounces too. I don’t want to be one of those wet noodles :) I understand that the bounces require a more sophisticated body line awareness as well as the ability to absorb and redirect your body from a dynamic lean that now has the job to stabilize your mass in motion… Different skill, for sure. 

Petri Widsten

So there is really not much point progressing to the bounces until one can do rock-solid eSPL for 5 x 30s and hands at hip level?

Cole Dano

@Eva Pelegrin Since you're already 2 weeks in, you may as well finish out the cycle and then jump back to the floor, but this time lets do 8 weeks on the floor, with a couple of assessment videos along the way.

Eva Pelegrin

This concludes my first cycle of elevated PL. One more deload session this Sat will allow me to film one more time to apply any corrections and set the stage for my next cycle. I have a long way to go and plan to lean on here for a while, but I’m please with my efforts. Only so much lean progress I can expect in one month of work.

I have several observations/questions:

1. Are my steps high enough? I found out that the higher I go with the steps, the straighter my back looks and the harder it is not to pike as my butt seems to go up a bit with higher elevation. Is that typical? Or is it due to my lower back being is structurally straight-ish. 

2. I realize my feet are not together yet. I need more time to get there. I have to be careful with my load as my left forearm extensors strain quite quickly and the last thing I want is to get them injured. Since my elbow surgery in May ‘15, I’m dealing with left forearm funkiness and a lack of strength in my L arm in general (?).

3. I’m wondering if it would be a good idea to try pBars on my next cycle as my left forearm is feeling a bit strained and I don’t want to make it worse. Thoughts?

4. Please let me know what markers to focus on my next cycle (starting next Mon) and whether to stay elevated or go back to floor on the next cycle. Either way I’m game to continue to making progress. In the second video clip I’m trying to do more spinal flexion and you can observe a bit more piking.

This is a hard element for me. I know I’m working hard enough as my effort and intensity stay pretty consistent session to session while I ask more of myself.

I look forward to your feedback, thank you!

 

Cole Dano

Let's see what happens when you go back to floor level.

I'm good with the little bit of pike you have, keeping the correct body tension takes priority over piking, and you have that now.

More protraction! That's the big factor to work on now. Notice how much you have when you are about half way out vs all the way out.

 

Eva Pelegrin

Understood and thank you Cole! I’ll work on more protraction. 

I’m curious to see, if and when, my body will be able to assume the position of hips lowered down and flat like Alessandro’s pictures (or close to that). I noticed that to mimic that, I have to think about dropping my hips way, way down in PPT (almost like a hanging feeling) in order for me to be able to create a diagonal line and then flex more in my upper back. Is that what we want: a bit more flexion on the thoracic coupled with the protraction?

I found that when I tried to engage my core more, it’s almost like it pulls my hips up a bit, if you know what I mean. Have others experienced the same thing/problem in this element? Or it’s just my weird self.:(

Petri Widsten

I also have to conciously drop my hips low to find a good bodyline in the floor version. "Overengaging" the core can then cause me to lose it. It's a bit of a balancing act that works better some days than others. I'm trying to become more consistent.