This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

FL/PE4 + >iM Form check

Started by Eva Pelegrin, May 5, 2016 · 7 Replies · 236 Views

Eva Pelegrin

Started 2 weeks ago with Straddle Rocks. Doing 30s and working on building my endurance. Now you can see my famous broomstick @Julia Quigley @Jon Douglas

In the PE4 first clip I’m doing smaller rocks than the second clip. Is one better than the other? Am I on track here? 
For the >iM, I will focus on improving the fluidity and increasing my hip extension. Anything else?

 

Alessandro Mainente

Rocks should be done with hands along the hips.

During the IM try to push strongly with the supporting arm in order to avoid hips drop.

Eva Pelegrin

Hi Alessandro, 
Last time I asked, I got permission to try the Straddle Rocks with a broomstick as a counter balance, in the hopes I can eventually progress my arms along the hips as my LB (lower back) mobility improves. The reason being, my LB is super straight and doesn't flex and then my butt gets in the way interrupting the rocking motion. I'm hoping I can use the stick for a while until my lower back mobility catches up (?). Needless to say, I've been working on my lower back mobility for years. Doing JCs, pancakes... even prior starting GB. Now doing the stall bars inverted pikes. I'm used to being patient with my LB. My PT said it was ligamentous tightness and flat LB curve. 

Do you suggest following a different strategy? I'm open to other suggestions, thanks!

Eva Pelegrin

Hi @Cole Dano, per your suggestion, I've experimented a bit and found that using a 1.25” panel mat offset works well for me. As you can see from my video, it seems to be just enough for my spine to facilitate the rocking motion. Thank you gravity. Let me know what you think. The 5 x 60r rocks are here since Mon-Wed and hopefully tmw Fri. I have deload next week:lol: 

Btw, I think the rocking in combination with the JC and everything else I'm doing is slowly but surely opening my lumbar titanium ligamentous structures. I can feel it internally while rocking although my lumbar flexion is still not visible from "the outside."

For the >iM, I've been working on increasing my hip extension, pushing with my support arm (thank you Alessandro) and smoothing it out. Anything else?

 

 

 

Eva Pelegrin

Can you see any improvements in my form here compared to May 19th above?

After 6 weeks, all I’ve noticed is that my endurance is much better as the 5 x 60r is not nearly as challenging as when I started. Sometimes, when I lose count, I find out I did 70 reps after I watch my video, duh (like in this example). I’ve been at the mastery numbers of reps for about a month, but not sure if my form and lower back flexion is satisfactory for mastery. Sadly, my back really doesn’t give more. I’ve also been keeping up with my JCs and all pike mobility from HS/SS on the side.

Please let me know your thought as how to approach my next 4-week cycle. The mobility below is typically much easier for me. Thanks!

 

Mark Collins

I would try the next 4 weeks on a flat mat.

Great work on achieving what you have done with that APT. They are the hardest to correct. 

Eva Pelegrin

Looking at my video cold without knowing my spine history, I’d say my form is meh, barely acceptable (I would like to see more lumbar flexion). Taking into account my PT refers to my spine as a titanium rod, I see my form as remarkable and my results short of a miracle. The fact that I can do it with out pain is another miracle.

@Johan Tideland I’m thinking about you. I know you how you it feels and just want to share: we CAN do this!

As much as I would like to, I honestly don’t think I can extract more out of this element at this moment, by just doing more of the same thing. “At this moment” being the operational word. The endurance and numbers have been there for a while. Spine flexibility is my main issue. I’ve continued doing JCs and Bent Hollow Body Rocks (FL/PE2) in my warm ups because they help me open my lower back way better.

It’s my belief that as I progress through the strength elements in MN (leg raises), FL, JCs and the spine mobility in pHS2 and F1, I can come back to FL/PE4 and will continue to see incremental improvements. I think I’m ready to move on, but you tell me if I’m wrong in my appraisal. As always, I defer to the exert eyes of GB coaches. Thank you.

 

Alessandro Mainente

Nice work Eva, solid angles and tight body.