This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN/PE6 Form check

Started by Eva Pelegrin, May 5, 2016 · 7 Replies · 169 Views

Eva Pelegrin

I’ve been working on lifting my hips higher and higher, but still not as high as course video. On the second clip, I’m just doing tucks so you can see my current hip height (see photo below).

 

The rungs on my stall bars are very close to each other (5 3/8”) and my head doesn’t fall between two rungs. The main issue I’m having is that one rung from my stall bars is smack center against the most protruding convex curve of the back of my head and I feel like being put in a chokehold as I go up! Maybe I’ll get use to it (?) I’m wondering if that sensation is stopping me from going higher (shutting down my core) or if my core is not strong enough yet, or both.

 

How can I improve from here? https://youtu.be/A6nJRsHK-vM

MN:PE6_Tuck.png

 

Cole Dano

You can throw an exercise mat over the rungs to make it more comfortable.

It looks to me like the main culprit is you're pushing your head against the bars at the top. Notice how your shoulders are coming off the bar, this is due 'throwing'  your head back.

Pull from the core, then the lats, head just sits there and watches.

In the photo you posted, your hips are high enough. were you to straighten your legs they'd hit the bar.

Eva Pelegrin

I'm using a yoga mat now. Should I keep my shoulders against the bars at all times?

My main thing has been raising my hips like the video course and trying to do so in a more controlled manner. I'll try the "core-lats-head sitting there" cues tmw. I have been tucking my chin at times in order to avoid the 'throwing' head back reflex.

Cole Dano

Yes the shoulders should stay on the bars at all times.

I think it's also helpful to realise you don't need to get your hips higher.

One intermediate step I've seen help some is to try and catch your toes under the bar so you can hold the top position, via toe assist. Then try to gain control of the trip down as the toes release the bar, that's what this element is all about.

Right now that 'negative' is just dropping down.

But no stress, this is a big step up from the previous elements. Be patient.

In any case first project is to learn to keep the shoulders on the bar. Less aggressive lift.

Eva Pelegrin

Gotcha, thank you. I don't like that dropping down either. I'll bring more awareness to the NEGATIVE. So far I was under the 'false' marker of "no point on working on the negative until I can get my hips to go high enough!" See below, my toes touch no problem, as hamstrings are not my limiting issues. Also, I don't get the head awkwardness when I keep my legs straight. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iApSs_XfIkU

Eva Pelegrin

One more cycle working on slowing the negative. 

 

Eva Pelegrin

Ah, ok, no dynamic movement! :facepalm: Somehow it scaped my attention while focusing on the Negative. I just tried it with straight legs and can do it no problem to L-sit and beyond, really slowly, gradually ramping up the tension.

For some reason, with bent knees is a different story. Seems like my lower back acts as a brake and I'm using momentum to bypass it (?) I'll keep hammering at my JCs. I'm thinking I may need more weight. I'm only doing 45 lb. 

Cole Dano

I think Zach's advice is solid.

 6xk04v0.jpg?1

The one other supplemental drill I've found useful is the toe hang, catching the toes under the bar and holding, and from there attempting the negative.