This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Form check: HBP/PE 16/17

Started by Jo Christian Weldingh, May 5, 2016 · 5 Replies · 193 Views

Jo Christian Weldingh

Hi,

 

I know my form is a bit off, since I have to use my feet for support, but apart from that, how does it look? :)

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Ideally arching it is not allowed. Move the hands closer to the wall.

Jo Christian Weldingh
Just now, Alessandro Mainente said:

Ideally arching it is not allowed. Move the hands closer to the wall.

Yeah, I know, but I need the support. Maybe do them with my stomach towards the wall?

John Koliopoulos
20 hours ago, Jo Christian Weldingh said:

Yeah, I know, but I need the support. Maybe do them with my stomach towards the wall?

No, this makes it harder to have proper trajectory.

You need a proper handstand, and build from there, that is all. You will have a hard time strengthening the correct muscles if you stay on the wall. Your movement is no way near freestanding, center of gravity is always in front of hands. correct should be legs go behind hands, shoulders in front, center is then in palms.

On the wall try only placing one leg on the wall as support, the other should be straight and tilt slightly back when in bottom position to counter balance. And keep core tight.

Jo Christian Weldingh
On 6.5.2016 at 11:13 AM, John Koliopoulos said:

No, this makes it harder to have proper trajectory.

You need a proper handstand, and build from there, that is all. You will have a hard time strengthening the correct muscles if you stay on the wall. Your movement is no way near freestanding, center of gravity is always in front of hands. correct should be legs go behind hands, shoulders in front, center is then in palms.

On the wall try only placing one leg on the wall as support, the other should be straight and tilt slightly back when in bottom position to counter balance. And keep core tight.

Thanks for the input; I needed it. I have come to the conclusion that I have to have a decent freestanding handstand before I continue these progressions. Do you have any tips on what to do on HBP-strength while I work on that?

Kai Ewert

I would say HBP/PE15 or a similar exercise with the feet elevated just to the height of a chair. Depending on the distance of your hands to the chair (measure it to keep track), I've found this more challenging than HBP/PE15. Courtesy of Yaad Mohammad's HSPU tutorial (youtube), I would also suggest holds in the bottom positon of HBP/PE15 / decline pushups or HSPUs on the wall, which I find to be the weakest position of the movement for myself.