This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS PE 3

Started by Guido Franchetti, May 4, 2016 · 13 Replies · 166 Views

Guido Franchetti

I am at the last steps of PE 2 and decided to start playing with PE 3 after my PE 2 work. As it shows in the video, I sometime find it hard to get the right momentum in the getting up phase (look past the first successful attempt).

Is it just a matter of practice or is there any particular technique? In PE 2 I find that that by compensating with the hands it is easier to recover an initial overshooting. In the PE3 I do not manage to do that as well with my forearms. I could still use the fingers , but that feels like cheating...

Tracey Weaver

I am working on PE2 right now and I pike up very slow and controlled.  You can see my video for a form check on this page. Maybe try that... It looks like the momentum from the hop up is sending you over. 

Guido Franchetti

Thanks Tracey, I had a look at your form check, never tried to go up that way even in PE2.  I will give it a shot, but I am not sure it is doable when balancing on the forearms. I have the feeling PE3 is here to teach how to control momentum in the jumping up phase. Without the possibility of balancing/compensating with the hands every other way of getting up seems harder. I may have got this wrong though.

Guido Franchetti

Any feedback about my form?

 

I have two doubts:

1) How should be the weight be distributed among head and forearms? I tend to keep most of the weight on forearms

2) I allow my little finger to make contact with the floor, is that fine? I suppose that cupping the head a bit higher so that the fingers do not rest on the ground would make the PE more challenging.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Cole Dano

First to answer your questions:

1) Crown fo the head and forearms

2) Little finger on the floor, you use it to counter balance. This is actually quite similar to what I'm trying to get you to do in HBP/PE1.

Regarding your form, it's not bad but try to take your bottom ribs back just a touch further.

Actually you have a very nice room for working HeS and HS alignment. If you do you HeS back against that outward facing corner (where the chair is) and try to get the small of your back and heels to the corner it will give you a feeling for the alignment we are looking for.

Guido Franchetti

I am trying to understand how to do PE3 iM. I should have only flexion and no dislocation, right? I am finding it hard to feel if I am doing pure flexion or if there is some dislocation, any clue?

This is an attempt, hands are shoulder width

I know I should add weight, but I was trying many repetitions to get an idea of the form.

Alessandro Mainente

There is a little part of dislocation. if you see that your inner elbow internally rotates to the side you are beginning the dislocate.

Guido Franchetti

Thanks Alessandro!

Guido Franchetti

Coming back to this after a break. It sees to me that in the first video I am overcorrecting piking, and actually arching instead.

 

In the second video I tried to follow more gravity, but I am still arching a bit.

 

On 4 June 2016 at 10:00 AM, Cole Dano said:

Actually you have a very nice room for working HeS and HS alignment. If you do you HeS back against that outward facing corner (where the chair is) and try to get the small of your back and heels to the corner it will give you a feeling for the alignment we are looking for.

Cole, were you suggesting to do the HS with my back close to the edge of the wall? I am a bit afraid of hurting myself should I lose my balance.

Is the ROM in the iM fine or do I need to improve it? I think in the course video there is some dislocation, so it is difficult to judge what is the level required.

Cole Dano

Nice improvement in that 2nd video.

Using the corner is totally optional, but you'd move that chair out of the way and face directly into the corner diagonally, so that when you are up you aren't against either wall but just the line that the corner makes.

You have to feel comfortable with your HeS to do it, but it's very good when you don't have a spotter to tell you if you are aligned correctly, the wall will do it for you.

Alessandro Mainente

The PE it is good, the IM needs refinement, please pay attention that you have to begin with bar overhead then pull back the bar while leaning forward. 

Guido Franchetti

I have tried to correct the iM

(In the second video the camera was a bit tilted), is it fine if I move to PE4?

I have tried using the corner for the PE, but the base of the wall has some extra tickness so I could not use it well for alignment. With a mirror or a spotter, I usually manage to keep a straight position, without sometimes I arch or pike a little.

 

Guido Franchetti

bump

Cole Dano

Alex may say otherwise, but for me that's enough to move forward. Just keep one of the flexion and one of the extension iM's in warm up.