This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

In my 5th week... And this happened!!

Started by Tracey Weaver, May 3, 2016 · 10 Replies · 462 Views

Tracey Weaver

For anyone thinking... Will change ever happen? I couldn't get my head off the ground at all in an effort to make a bridge 5 sessions ago.  Yes I am still using the ball for an assist but I actually supported myself in a bridge like position with my arms extended and my chest on its way past them!! It was work to hold it there but I did it three times and held as long as I could.

As coach Sommer says in the video... "If you want to get better at bridge, you have to spend time in (or trying to get in haha) a bridge!

I needed this today!! Thought I would share and give someone else struggling some hope!!!

 

 

 

Mark Collins

Great work.

Tracey Weaver

Thanks @Mark Collins.  I have a lot of work to do.  I have been using the ball to assist into positions towards the end of the stretch session. This video will show my starting point.  I attempted a bridge from the floor messing around with friends before I started GB. (I bought all 3 stretch series, F1 & H1)  I couldn't extend my arms straight over my head, get them anywhere next to my ears, nor push myself off the ground. I still am working on all of this but shoulder and thoracic mobility has improved!

 

 

I am a cross fitter (3.5 years) and have committed to GB for 6 months.  I do F1 - MWF and H1 T/Th/S. This programming is my priority and comes first each morning.  If I have energy left on any given day (mainly T/TH/S) I do olympic lifting (at about 50-70% of my max's), metcons, or biking/running.  I do each stretch series 1x a week on H1 days after my WO.  I rest completely on Sunday.  

I guess I share my schedule for your opinion.  I know with the stretch series... less is more.  Not sure if that is the case with F1/H1.  

I don't want to pull back from my other lifting besides GB.  It keeps me sane.  GB is the opposite of CF.  Slow, controlled routine and perfect form is everything.  CF... as fast as you can, routine is the enemy... and form... well... it unintentionaly gets sacrificed in the moment.

Thanks for the input. :-) 

Giovanni Garcea

With all this training do you have any problem with recovery or fatigue?

Also, what are your goals?

Mark Collins

I was similar. I was a Crossfitter doing GST as a supplement. The deeper I got into the GST the more it overtook the CF. GST is very complimentary to my thoughts as a physio. Whereas CF is nearly the opposite. I now do CF once a week for the social contact. I also use it as a test to see how well my GST is progressing.

I now approach my CF workout with the same approach as a GST workout. I pick a weight or movement that I could show mastery without a form break. 

As long as you are progressing with your current schedule there is no need to change. If you start plateauing then cut back the volume. 

Tracey Weaver

I have built up a pretty big WO volume.  I do not feel fatigued at all but do feel muscle soreness at times.  The GB program really challenges my low back.  I am cautious on my lift days and don't push max attempts.  I also choose a bit lower of a weights in metcons than I normally would. I get a good 7-8 hours sleep at night and do not have a stressful job.  I feel really good overall!

My goals are to fix my posture by increasing thoracic and shoulder mobility.  Also fix this anterior pelvic tilt I have become accustom to.  I have had numerous surgeries to my core (microdiscectomy L4-5, two cesarean births and a foot long incision on my left side from an attempted kidney donation) which I have made compensations for along the way.  Holding PPT in the moves of F1 is a big struggle. Getting a better range of motion in my low back (rotatioally and overall) is a goal too.  

The ultimate goal is to gain better body mechanics and mobility to be able to become a better lifter and crossfitter.  For my age (45) and size (5'2/115)  I am fairly strong, but know I could move more weight if I had some basic raw strength and better mobility to start.  Three years ago when I began... I didn't build my lifting strength on a strong and structural foundation.  So I am taking some steps back in an effort to build that foundation through gymnastic bodies so I will be able to take steps forward in the sport of crossfit.

i am hopeful.  I claim to be giving gym bodies 6 months... But I can see already this will be a forever relationship.  I am thinking half the year GB comes first with me putting my strength gains on maintenance  .. And the second half of the year... Lifting comes first with GB on maintenance.

Would love to hear thoughts on my big picture plans. 

Thanks for asking!! 

 

Mark Schoenhard

i am hopeful.  I claim to be giving gym bodies 6 months... But I can see already this will be a forever relationship.  I am thinking half the year GB comes first with me putting my strength gains on maintenance  .. And the second half of the year... Lifting comes first with GB on maintenance.

 

I see rings in your future....

Giovanni Garcea

Tracey, that's great to hear!

So it sounds that you want to use GB as a preparation to excel in crossfit. I think that's a great goal, but because GB is a standalone program and CF is so intense, I feel that the complexities of cross training and long term programming are beyond my knowledge. If I were to have similar goals I would probably try to spend a few hours with a competent trainer to review my plan to address the present limiting factors in the main sport (for you that would be Crossfit).

Right now you are going at it intuitively (basically you fit your GB schedule in the week, plus as much stuff as you can do based on perceived energy). I'm sure that there must be a better way to plan the week, given that your overall goal is to improve in crossfit, but it would be to difficult for a non professional like me to know how to go about it.

Having said that, as long as you don't get injured and recover well, you're probably ok...

Tracey Weaver

@Giovanni Garcea I did speak to a trainer familiar with GB and she suggested i can lift but to remain at 50-60% of my maxes.  This would keep my lifts on "maintenance" while I gain some raw strength and mobility through GB.  I have listened to coach Sommer on a few different podcasts and he suggests this as well.  He stresses to make sure that when you spend time on GB you are focused and present... Giving full attention and max efforts.  Which I do.  If I have something left in the tank... I choose another activity... Either metcon, power or Olympic lifting, biking or running. 

 

I am finishing up week 5 of this system and it is working well.  I will adjust as I go.  I am in uncharted territory... So I am really trying to listen to my body. :-)

Tracey Weaver

@Mark Schoenhard ... I have rings but I am only using them for RC/PE1 right now. Lol thanks for your vote of confidence.  I think you sense my determination... I like that! :-)

Mark Collins

I like that plan. After 6 months you can reassess. GST is something you can progress with for years so there is no hurry.