Posture Fix Advise

Started by Brandan Nelson, May 3, 2016 · 3 Replies · 2,205 Views

Brandan Nelson

I am 23 years old and I recently have been looking further into my posture pattern and can see in my relaxed stance that i significantly twist to my left side at the hips. Unfortunately this also twists my shoulders and knees. When i stand up tall and in good posture i can move my shoulders and knees around without pain and even feel my walk in my glutes instead of my quads. When i relax though, the pull drags me back into this poor posture. It is a weird feeling to know where you can do full movement (even a full range body weight squat) without pain, but when i relax into that rotated state my shoulders pop and knees feel pressure from the quads again.

What i have been doing to fix it:

- Hip flexor stretching of the psoas and piriformis regions.

- Hip mobility.

- Glute Strength and Quad stretching

- Shoulder ROM and Mobility work

- Strength in the "Good posture" (just holds for now to increase elbow, shoulder, and leg strength/stability when they do not rely on my preconditioned bad posture.)

 

I understand it will take awhile for my body to adjust and realign, but I'm finding that it is exhausting to fight the rotation all day long.

Hoping to get more opinions on this and possibly more ideas! 

 

My background: Climbing, Backpacking, Basketball

Thank you for your time and sincerely,

 

Brandan Nelson

Brandan Nelson

Also if it helps, when i don't fight the rotation when walking i find my Quad and Lateralis regions activate far more than my gluteus/medialis. I also do not want to run into the trouble of stretching too much.

 

 

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

Possible issues: The right side of your core muscles is weaker than your left side...more specifically your obliques on your right side.

Brandan Nelson

Thank you for the reply!

I will throw in some extra oblique exercises, i have forgotten them since i started this posture transition. Have any good movements you would recommend?