This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Form check: MN/PE3 and SL/PE5

Started by Jo Christian Weldingh, May 3, 2016 · 11 Replies · 247 Views

Jo Christian Weldingh

Hi,

I have som back issues, so these progressions are especially hard for me, and it's also very important that I do them right. Greatful for all the help I can get :)

I can do the required reps for mastery in both, but I'm fairly certain my form is a bit off, since I have a tendency to get back pains after the workouts.

 

MN/PE3:  

SL/PE5

 

Matthew Mutch

Hey Jo!

I had some lower/midback issues after these progressions as well when I first started performing these progressions.  Over time, I learned why and tweaked my form a bit and now I seem to not have back pain.  This is what worked for me, which might be different from you, but it might be worth a try for you.

1) In your MN/PE3 video, your torso/upper body elevates off the floor noticeably earlier than the lower body.  During any of the first 3 MN progressions, try playing with the timing of elevating the legs.  Ensuring the low back is pressed firmly into the ground first, then timing the upper and lower back to elevate off the ground can change the leverage on the low back.  

2) Hamstring flexibility is going to play a huge role in your ability to perform a nice, compressed V-up.  Try some deep hamstring stretching (see Front Split/Middle splits stretch series) before these may alleviate the back and take the "parking brake" effect off while performing these.

3) Twisting Arch ups: Try slowing down, and getting all the way to the top.  Looks like your stopping 3/4 of the way to the top.  Back off a step or 2 down and go for FULL ROM.  Also, really important to SLOWLY lower yourself down on these.  Eccentric lowering builds strength more fully than concentric upward movement.  Focus on the slow downward movement.

 

Looks great, keep up the good work and repost after making some tweaks

Jo Christian Weldingh
On 3.5.2016 at 5:41 PM, Matthew Mutch said:

Hey Jo!

I had some lower/midback issues after these progressions as well when I first started performing these progressions.  Over time, I learned why and tweaked my form a bit and now I seem to not have back pain.  This is what worked for me, which might be different from you, but it might be worth a try for you.

1) In your MN/PE3 video, your torso/upper body elevates off the floor noticeably earlier than the lower body.  During any of the first 3 MN progressions, try playing with the timing of elevating the legs.  Ensuring the low back is pressed firmly into the ground first, then timing the upper and lower back to elevate off the ground can change the leverage on the low back.  

2) Hamstring flexibility is going to play a huge role in your ability to perform a nice, compressed V-up.  Try some deep hamstring stretching (see Front Split/Middle splits stretch series) before these may alleviate the back and take the "parking brake" effect off while performing these.

3) Twisting Arch ups: Try slowing down, and getting all the way to the top.  Looks like your stopping 3/4 of the way to the top.  Back off a step or 2 down and go for FULL ROM.  Also, really important to SLOWLY lower yourself down on these.  Eccentric lowering builds strength more fully than concentric upward movement.  Focus on the slow downward movement.

 

Looks great, keep up the good work and repost after making some tweaks

Hi,

Thank you so much for the reply. I'll make some adjustments and repost :)

Jo Christian Weldingh
On 3.5.2016 at 5:41 PM, Matthew Mutch said:

Hey Jo!

I had some lower/midback issues after these progressions as well when I first started performing these progressions.  Over time, I learned why and tweaked my form a bit and now I seem to not have back pain.  This is what worked for me, which might be different from you, but it might be worth a try for you.

1) In your MN/PE3 video, your torso/upper body elevates off the floor noticeably earlier than the lower body.  During any of the first 3 MN progressions, try playing with the timing of elevating the legs.  Ensuring the low back is pressed firmly into the ground first, then timing the upper and lower back to elevate off the ground can change the leverage on the low back.  

2) Hamstring flexibility is going to play a huge role in your ability to perform a nice, compressed V-up.  Try some deep hamstring stretching (see Front Split/Middle splits stretch series) before these may alleviate the back and take the "parking brake" effect off while performing these.

3) Twisting Arch ups: Try slowing down, and getting all the way to the top.  Looks like your stopping 3/4 of the way to the top.  Back off a step or 2 down and go for FULL ROM.  Also, really important to SLOWLY lower yourself down on these.  Eccentric lowering builds strength more fully than concentric upward movement.  Focus on the slow downward movement.

 

Looks great, keep up the good work and repost after making some tweaks

Hey. I tried the twisting arch ups again. I might lack some flexibility in my lower back, as I'm not sure if I can get high enough. I started the set with some regular arch ups. Are they ok?

 

 

Eva Pelegrin

Hi Jo,

i can't believe no one caught this. I think you're twisting up the wrong way (side). The only reason I know this is because I did the same thing and Cole said so. If you find my post I look exactly like you. It's one of those instances where you see something and the brain self-selects the direction... So I've been working on these going the other way now.

Look at the course video again and you'll see what I mean. I hope I can save you some time. :)

Jo Christian Weldingh
3 hours ago, Eva Pelegrin said:

Hi Jo,

i can't believe no one caught this. I think you're twisting up the wrong way (side). The only reason I know this is because I did the same thing and Cole said so. If you find my post I look exactly like you. It's one of those instances where you see something and the brain self-selects the direction... So I've been working on these going the other way now.

Look at the course video again and you'll see what I mean. I hope I can save you some time. :)

Hi Eva,

Wow, you're right. I'm both happy and embarrassed. Funny thing is, when I shuffled trough other form checks before posting this topic, I actually read that post. It's embarrassing how much time I have spent been trying to get these right! You spared both me and idiot brain some time, yes :) 

Jo Christian

Jo Christian Weldingh
3 hours ago, Eva Pelegrin said:

Hi Jo,

i can't believe no one caught this. I think you're twisting up the wrong way (side). The only reason I know this is because I did the same thing and Cole said so. If you find my post I look exactly like you. It's one of those instances where you see something and the brain self-selects the direction... So I've been working on these going the other way now.

Look at the course video again and you'll see what I mean. I hope I can save you some time. :)

I think the girl is twisting the same way I am in the new video, or am I wrong again?

Eva Pelegrin

I'm afraid not. It can be confusing for those of us who have done these before. This movement made me wonder if I had a learning disability, haha. Don't worry and keep looking. I found it was helpful to try the motion from standing while bending over in order to simulate the direction I needed to go. 

Also, see screenshot below so you don't go crazy. Although her arching path is more from the middle, she is still going up facing the same way as the guy. The main difference is that his excursion has more of a U shape. I like his better so I've been practicing that way. 
Screen Shot 2016-05-20 at 2.30.04 PM.png

Petri Widsten

I think you have the right direction as it seems you are emulating the course videos.

I initially twisted the wrong way in SL/PE6 so I think getting the direction wrong is fairly common.☺

Coach Sommer

The difference between the two is simply that the top athlete has greater strength and mobility.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Matthew Mutch

Just a couple of tips if you're still struggling with the first block of training.  If you feel like only a small portion of your lumbar spine is doing all the work, you may want to do some of the following in order to activate the ENTIRE spinal erector muscles in order to get a nice, global arch in the spine, thus gaining maximal strength gains

1) Warmup with some thoracic extension work like elevated cat, seal stretch, and other stretches from the thoracic bridge stretch series (if available to you).  For you individually, you are twisting off center because you are literally being pulled by tight obliques.  Stretch obliques beforehand.

2) Stretch hip flexors.  These will act as the "Parking Brake" to your back muscles if tight.  Kneeling quad stretch/psoas work should do the trick here.  Again, check your oblique flexibility as well.

3) When you are performing the archups (any variation), at the top of each rep, squeeze shoulder blades together and the elbows back, extend the neck upward, and try to feel your upper back also arching.  This multiple muscle activation will collectively work towards a MAXIMAL contraction and build crazy strength.  Let the shaking begin.

One last point, I started the SL series before it was modified about a 1.5 years ago.  Coach had implemented 1 minutes Arch body holds and rocks as PE1 and PE2 respectively.  Easily the most difficult element for me at the time.  However, I found that these prepped me more than I could have ever imagined for SL/PE4-6 where the current PE1-3 don't transfer as well to the arch ups.

Keep at it! Patience and Consistency!! 

Joseph Amburgey
On 5/20/2016 at 7:29 AM, Eva Pelegrin said:

Hi Jo,

i can't believe no one caught this. I think you're twisting up the wrong way (side). The only reason I know this is because I did the same thing and Cole said so. If you find my post I look exactly like you. It's one of those instances where you see something and the brain self-selects the direction... So I've been working on these going the other way now.

Look at the course video again and you'll see what I mean. I hope I can save you some time. :)

Almost 3 years later. Thank you! His video's are off youtube, but you sparked a thought and I realized that when I first started these I was doing them correctly, with the swing more towards the direction of the back. however I've been doing more of an oblique compression thing. I've recently been getting a dull pain in my lower spine for days that feels like a disk is getting compressed passed it's comfort zone. It made stretching into a pike take a minute; though no pain while performing the movement.

 

great catch