This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Sunday Scone

Started by Jeff Serven, May 2, 2016 · 9 Replies · 202 Views

Jeff Serven

There is a post I just put up in the public nutrition form. It was a post intended for this lesson 19 because you guys are the people I am interested in hearing from but I wanted to open up your responses to everyone for the collective learning.

Will you post your findings on there? I think your insight will be valuable to others and I am interested to hear what your take on it is?  -Thanks

 

Jeff Serven

Someone is defiantly going to rip on me for eating a scone and I will try to be cool at first then my patience will expire but before they do know this. 

Its a scone, there is nothing 'healthy about it'. No two ways you can cut it. Its junk. But when compared to junk...

I like to think I am in the advanced stages of nutrition because not only have I lost a taste for fake food, I cant even eat it. An example, I went out to breakfast with an old friend a while back and had a Southwest omelette. Eggs, avocado, and salsa you know the deal. The sals was not fresh it was from a jar. To me it was so disgusting I had to scrape it off my eggs. Even when I eat poorly I can not eat fake food. I would never drink a coke or a pepsi, it just sounds terrible. Same goes for McDonalds but, I will eat a fresh croissant cut in half with a slice of high quality swiss, ham and dijon. May be very similar but to me its a world of difference.

In the case of the scone. My wife made it fresh with cranberries, butter, some sort of flour and eggs. The preserves are legit AZ grown strawberries and grass fed butter.

The point I am making here is not that I ate the healthiest version of a scone its that I am so use to eating Thrive foods that even when I go off the rails it still has to be high quality for what it is. And, how low you go is sometimes more important than how high you go. 

 

Looking forward to your responses and insight. Agin please respond in the public form. 

David Beckerman

Hey Jeff,

I had a pepsi the other day and took one mouth full and thought it was the most sweet disgusting thing that I threw the rest away. 

I also had bread after not having it for weeks too and it instantly made me feel average. 

It is amazing how you don't realise what your body does on sub optimal foods when that was the norm for you! For me the experience of having those two foods provided me with a reminder of the importance of good nutrition. I use it now as a motivator when I get cravings. 

Cheers,

Dave

Jeff Serven

David, 

Reading your post made me rethink my own. Thats great that you too have lost the taste for Pepsi however the intention of my post was not to bash those that still like Pepsi it was to highlight that Im a "classy junk" eater as Zach would say. In terms of overall heath - a pepsi and a scone are splitting hairs so to those out there that still love soft drinks thats no issue. I was just stating personal opinion. 

It is kinda shocking to see how you react to a junk food meal when you are so use to nourishing foods. 

Colm O'Shea

It makes you wonder how junk got to be such a major player. How did McD's, Coke, etc. come to occupy this giant role in our society? If the product at least tasted good I'd understand, but it's not even good as junk. What's the deal?

Colm O'Shea

Quick google of "Mexican coke" = interesting. I was unfamiliar with the distinction.

 

David Beckerman

Hi Jeff,

Apologies too if my post seemed to be negative towards pepsi drinkers, that was not my intention. Confession time, I still like a sprite every now and then!

 

Jeff Serven

NO! not at all taken that way David. It just made me re read my own post and think. 

Ryan Bailey
On 5/2/2016 at 0:39 PM, Jeff Serven said:

Someone is defiantly going to rip on me for eating a scone

Damn. I had a scone that Sunday too when you started that thread. Sometimes I feel I shouldn't post anymore self deprecating info on this forum. As far as junk food, I still think it tastes the same. Usually good while you eat it, feeling crappie afterwords. Only now, there seems to be less room to get a junk food craving I guess.

Travis Joseph

Last weekend I made lasagna. Made the pasta from scratch, used grass fed beef, lamb, fresh tomatoes, herbs and good quality cheeses. It was so good! If I'm craving something I want it the best way I can get it, otherwise why waste my "cheat" meal?