This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN/SE1 form check: 1° set vs 5° set

Started by Alessandro Di Sanzo, May 2, 2016 · 4 Replies · 168 Views

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hi all!

I've been working on MN/SE1 for several months! the mastery of 5x60s,  coupled with the very short time occurred to performed iM between sets, looks brutal to me! :wacko: 

Anyway, I think I'm quite close, but not so sure about the form. Yesterday I tried 5 sets x 45-50 secs. I recorded myself during the routine. 

Here are first and fifth set, in comparison:

FIRST SET (50 secs):

FIFTH SET (45 secs):

As expected, in the last set my muscles cry for mercy. I think form decreases a bit, compared to the first set. By your opinion, does it look still acceptable? In the last seconds I'm starting to shake a bit, I know that for mastery shouldn't be accepted. However I wonder if my chest is still sufficiently "open", as required for mastery.

Thanks to all!

 

 

Ryan Hutchins

      Hey Alessandro! Your sets are looking pretty good. If i am understanding you clearly are you telling me that you are doing a 45-50 second strength hold with an approximately 10 second IM and then returning to the Strength hold immediately afterwards? You need to give yourself a tiny bit more time to recover after the mobility in my opinion. Your lack of shoulder depression is noticeable on the 5th set. On the first set you are very tall but on the last you aren't able to give it your all it seems.

       You do not need to be able to run a 60 seconds on 10 seconds off x5 gauntlet of torture to have a manna. 60 good seconds followed by solid mobility followed by a carefully timed short rest(think 20-30s) is fine for mastery. Coach Sommers rarely speaks of this time between sets for good reason. (People want excuses) For the harder elements in gymnastics there simply is no way to just go back up and do another one. Think a simple ring routine. MU->L-hold->Tuck Planche->L-hold->Bent Arm Press HS-> Lower to shoulder stand-> L hold->Lower to Back Lever-> Pull to Front Lever. If you are coaching a kid and he bends his leg on the Front Lever could you really tell him to go right back up and fix it right away??? Not happening. I said all of that to say this.Push your self as hard as you can... intelligently. I only say this because i told another GB student this same advice and Coach "liked" it. 

Alessandro Di Sanzo
4 hours ago, Ryan Hutchins said:

      Hey Alessandro! Your sets are looking pretty good. If i am understanding you clearly are you telling me that you are doing a 45-50 second strength hold with an approximately 10 second IM and then returning to the Strength hold immediately afterwards? You need to give yourself a tiny bit more time to recover after the mobility in my opinion. Your lack of shoulder depression is noticeable on the 5th set. On the first set you are very tall but on the last you aren't able to give it your all it seems.

       You do not need to be able to run a 60 seconds on 10 seconds off x5 gauntlet of torture to have a manna. 60 good seconds followed by solid mobility followed by a carefully timed short rest(think 20-30s) is fine for mastery. Coach Sommers rarely speaks of this time between sets for good reason. (People want excuses) For the harder elements in gymnastics there simply is no way to just go back up and do another one. Think a simple ring routine. MU->L-hold->Tuck Planche->L-hold->Bent Arm Press HS-> Lower to shoulder stand-> L hold->Lower to Back Lever-> Pull to Front Lever. If you are coaching a kid and he bends his leg on the Front Lever could you really tell him to go right back up and fix it right away??? Not happening. I said all of that to say this.Push your self as hard as you can... intelligently. I only say this because i told another GB student this same advice and Coach "liked" it. 

Thanks for your reply, Ryan, I enjoyed reading your post! You are right, my form decreases in the last set, and at the end of routine I feel my triceps really fried! :D

I realized that this progression is really hard to perform smoothly for the whole 5 sets x 60 secs, because compared to other progression with mastery 5x60s, like RC/PE6, I have to really pay much more attention on my form during static hold. Luckily there's a mirror on my side that helps me to check it! 

You are right, for this progression the time occurred to perform the mobility is very short: you wrote 10 secs and that's more or less the time I took to perform it. After iM I take a couple of breaths and settle my scapula properly before going into the position, so during my routine no more than 25 secs pass between sets (I always look at the chronometer ahead me in order to be sure of this). "Push your self as hard as you can... intelligently": that's what I've been trying to do! of course while trying to not cheat myself! :)

Thanks again for your suggestions, Ryan! I'll keep them in mind!

 

 

 

 

 

Ryan Hutchins

Sounds like you are on the right path! Keep it up and get that Manna. I am confident that you will blow by the next few progressions like nothing with the strength you have now. I'm only on L-sit to V. My flexibility is nothing like your profile pic :blink:

Alessandro Di Sanzo
15 hours ago, Ryan Hutchins said:

Sounds like you are on the right path! Keep it up and get that Manna. I am confident that you will blow by the next few progressions like nothing with the strength you have now. I'm only on L-sit to V. My flexibility is nothing like your profile pic :blink:

pike is definitely my strongest point in terms of joint mobility, of course I have my own weak points too! As we know, to detect the problem and fix it is the key :D

Thanks for the motivation, Ryan!! :)