hej everyone,
I am trying to set up the new work out scheduler but I am struggling to figure out what would be a better option when combining all that Gymnastic based training with rock climbing.
I was doing:
Monday : F7 + rock climbing (hard)
Tuesday: HS + TSs (Tumbling)
Wednesday: MSs + easy indoor climbing
Thursday: HS+FSs (Tumbling)
Friday: F7+ rock climbing(hard)
Saturday or Sunday: a Hike or easy some chill out door rock climbing (most weekends but not every one.
I am wondering now though if i should separate climbing and gst or keep them on the same day and if i have them on the same day how do i fit in the stretch series? was thinking of changing stretching to after f7 or climbing because i feel it would be more beneficial? the problem with f7 + climbing + stretching is it takes a freaking long time..... climbing generally takes up about 2 hours of my time ( mostly social).
anyway if anyone has any tips or ideas id love to hear it.
Cheers ![]()
P.S. weekends im too busy being outdoors or doing chores to do training so i have to fit it all during the week.
(maybe some sunday nights i could do something like stretching.)
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
how to schedule gst with rock climbing
Started by Andrew Long, May 2, 2016 · 4 Replies · 287 Views
Is your goal to be good at GST or for it to compliment your rock climbing?
F7 is a big workout on its own so I would not be doing it and a hard rock climb on the same day.
My schedule is as follows.
Monday: F7 FSs
Tuesday: HS, system training, MSs (all at the rock gym)
Wed: rest (lots of mobility maybe a hike)
Thurs: HS, lighter climbing
Fri: F7, TBs
Saturday: HS and T1
Sunday: rest
Keeps my workouts at a good length and I feel that it allows for plenty of recovery between f7 and climbing.
Hope that was helpful!
climbing is the thing I love the most. I do gst for the strength and mobility aspects more than anything else so I dont care how long it takes me to achieve a specific skill in gymnastics as much as I do about climbing a few times a week. I also do not really care about chasing grades in climbing but I do want to get stronger over time. my weakness is definitely my grip which is often the case with most people.
indoors I generally work v8 but outdoors it is more like v6 atm. My technique and core/pull power is greater than my grip strength so I am thinking of making Wednesdays a finger training day.
Monday and Friday I put as hard simply because those are the days I boulder but they aren't always hard and i socialise a lot of the time when I am at the bouldering gym. Wednesday is lead practice day so often not very difficult except occasionally on the fingers. the weekend is always relaxed climbing. I don't do anything super hard just what is comfortable and fun.
i have been splitting the f7 and climbing in to 2 different training sessions on the same day (morning / afternoon) kind of deal because I thought if I put climbing on my off days I would have no rest really.... I wonder how much bouldering interferes with gst if I were to do it on my off days.
I mostly just climb for fun and I do gst to make myself strong and capable in anything I do and as a bonus it helps make me stronger for climbing. when I go climbing there is no training schedule for it. I just go in and see how I feel then climb what ever is enjoyable. sometimes I don't do anything really hard but generally I find the harder stuff fun so I will hop on it if I am feeling good or have the energy.
Oh i forgot to mention, because I have had a lot of time off training gst because of life and travel I have decided to go back to the start and really refine every exercise. I have learnt a lot about the movements from earlier progressions and want to go back and make sure I am doing it all correctly. so while I do f7, it isn't that difficult for me atm because when my technique fails even a little bit I stop the set until I can complete perfect reps each time. it can be mentally draining but not that physically draining.
Sorry for the long winded response.
Cheers
On 2 May 2016 at 0:48 PM, Andrew Long said:hej everyone,
I am trying to set up the new work out scheduler but I am struggling to figure out what would be a better option when combining all that Gymnastic based training with rock climbing.
I was doing:
Monday : F7 + rock climbing (hard)
Tuesday: HS + TSs (Tumbling)
Wednesday: MSs + easy indoor climbing
Thursday: HS+FSs (Tumbling)
Friday: F7+ rock climbing(hard)
Saturday or Sunday: a Hike or easy some chill out door rock climbing (most weekends but not every one.
I am wondering now though if i should separate climbing and gst or keep them on the same day and if i have them on the same day how do i fit in the stretch series? was thinking of changing stretching to after f7 or climbing because i feel it would be more beneficial? the problem with f7 + climbing + stretching is it takes a freaking long time..... climbing generally takes up about 2 hours of my time ( mostly social).
anyway if anyone has any tips or ideas id love to hear it.
Cheers
P.S. weekends im too busy being outdoors or doing chores to do training so i have to fit it all during the week.(maybe some sunday nights i could do something like stretching.)
I would do the HS and stretches on the same day as the rock climbing as they should not affect your climbing. You could do F7 on Tuesday and Thursday. F7 starts easy and gets alot more difficult, which will eat into your recovery. If you notice your climbing is suffering do F7 once a week or split it into F4 and F3 over two days. As you are active you will still get good gains doing Foundation once a week.
The stretch series and tumbling will also eat into your recovery. You will need to do alot of trial and error to see what works best for you. Your frequency and intensity of training will vary from time to time depending on diet and general stress.