This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Starchy veg vs starch

Started by Jared Birbeck, May 2, 2016 · 3 Replies · 198 Views

Jared Birbeck

Hopefully a relatively quick one for clarity given some potential confusion for me. There are a lot of veg that we have in the veg category that can be classified as starchy veg with a reasonable amount of carb content. usually things like parsnip, carrot, beetroot, turnip, corn. The list has them in as Veg (which I'm happy with) but is there any cross over with starch here or are they ultimately still too low carb to slow into a starch?

Corn I'd usually include as a starch. carrot beetroot etc as a veg and parsnip perhaps a starch/veg.

Jeff Serven

You are correct. Too low carb to be a starch. There is more on this somewhere in here. 

Ryan Bailey

I have another question about this. Recently, I dug up parsnips;  blanch and froze ~60 cups.  I am hoping to use them as dinner starch.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  Parsnip I thought has around 50% of its carbs as starch per cup, similar to winter squash (starch listed veggie) that has around 50% of its carbs as starch per cup.  Opposite of Beet which is almost no starch. Parsnip I think also has similar starch content (7g/1cup of parsnip) compared to the 1 medium sweet potato (8g starch).  May sound like I am splitting hairs (as they are all good foods), but parsnip is a food that I harvest and want to utilize it correctly.  If I used a serving of parsnip roots as a starch with a Broccoli type veggie, I think it goes well together.

Should I be using parsnip as the veggie category and combine it with potatoes or rice? 

Thanks!

Jeff Serven

Id call it a starch

Good analysis