I'm eager to get opinions on the issue of training both gymnastics and weights simultaneously, while at the same time dealing with various limitations (physiological as well as lack of certain facilities). Slizzardman, Braindx, Blairbob, Ido (to name a few): please chime in here as i think your knowledge and experience will be invaluable to the discussion, and i'm hoping that what develops in this thread might help others users who are asking some of the same questions.
First, I'll give some background on myself to use a preliminary case study: 36yrs old, 5'10'', 175lbs. My training age is 15yrs. Up until last year, my training consisted of solely weight training and various outdoor activities (cycling, trail running, etc.). The last 5 years or so I've been doing largly Oly lifts and other explosive-type movements. Being a massage therapist, I'm acutely aware of the dangers of overtraining/injury, and always include recovery/prehab protocols in my programs. I've a myriad of different phsyiological "issues", which i'm likely hyper-sensitive too due to my knowledge and vocation, and will not go into most of them here.
However, one in particular has plagued me for awhile now, and i know is also an issue for many readers: elbow/forearm pain and/or disfunction. For over a year now I've been unable to perform even simple activities without some sort of medial elbow pain. At one point it got so bad that i could not perform chinups for reps or more than a couple of power cleans before "failure". There is a history of joint disorder in my family (arthritis, structural limitations), and i suspect i have Degenerative Joint Disorder (DJD), meaning my body does not manufacture collagen and fibroblasts very effeciently. I went through a number of different rehab protocols, including taking almost a month completely off from any gripping type movements. This summer i began training gymnastics, including rings, and did not lift any weights for over 4 months. While I loved this type of training, eventually the elbow began to become an issue again (especially with front lever positions). After 10 weeks of training, I had to take another 3 weeks off completely (with active rest and rehab).
The crux of what I'm getting at is this: injuries that are due to genetic/hereditary factors as well as years of accumulated training trauma have to be mitigated if one does not wish to completely cease activities for an extended period of time, and even then the injury may never fully heal.
Questions: How should one go about managing varying issues while still continuing to progress?
As both chronological and training age increases, what have you found are essential practices in order to remain "healthy"?
Is it possible to make considerable progress at a later age, especially (as in my case) if your body does not recover sufficiently from high volume programs?
Can the gymnastics training (which tends to have a large neurological component to it, ie skill development) be melded with weight training to create an EFFECTIVE program that does not require hours of training a day or multiple daily sessions?
Lastly, for the majority of trainees who only have access to public gyms with little or no gymnastics equipment, what positions and/or skills should be utilized in that environment?