Hypertrophy from static planche training?

Started by Matthew Bradshaw, April 28, 2016 · 8 Replies · 8,439 Views

Matthew Bradshaw

Hi guys. Just wondering if you noticed hypertrophy from doing planche progression statics and if so, where about the most?

Alessandro Mainente

Shoulders, serratus anterio and forearms.

Matthew Bradshaw

What about the biceps and pecs?

Eva Pelegrin

Pecs, yes. How about the entire upper body. Not to mention glutes and lower back! 
I recently re-started Planche progressions with PLL and if and when my SA (serratus anterior) blows up, I will know I AM WORTHY. Although I would not recommend wrapping your self-esteem in one's ability to do Planche. It's not for everybody. 

Brian Li

Haven't noticed any hypertrophy from planche statics, but I did not train for hypertrophy. Keep in mind that isometrics aren't as good for hypertrophy compared to non-isometric exercises if you are thinking about trying to build mass with planche.

David Birchall

Forearms - I don"t use parallettes at all and my forearms look like Pop Eye now lol.

I found that in Tuck Planche, it was very much pecs and front deltoids.  Once on to Open Planche and the leg extensions, I found that it really hits your lats.

Also biceps - when good external rotation

Screen Shot 2016-05-04 at 16.07.39.png

Alexander Egebak

Low hypertrophy until you reach open tuck planche. You simply do not stress the muscles enough to create the same muscle response as the bent arm pushing exercises. But you have to lay a foundation to be able to handle stressful straight arm training. Rewards will come to those putting hard work into the basics so that they can safely and efficiently do the more advanced progressions.

Ryan Hutchins

Its funny because some people just get stronger but stay Super skinny as they learn harder planche variations while others swell up and look all Encho. 

roncal10.jpg

Aaro Helander

It's very hard to pinpoint a roadmap of strength gains vs. muscle mass gains. With GST, neural strength gains are a huge factor, since it's a total different world of neural warfare for majority of the population. But at certain points the body has no choice but to response with hypertrophy to gain more strength to perform harder exercises. I guess it depends a lot on genetic factors, structural factors, muscle attachment points and so on. Goes deeeeep. Personally I'm happy that I've at a point where I feel like every GST exercise gives me both strength and mass gains!

https://www.strengthandconditioningresearch.com/perspectives/stronger-joint-angles/

An interesting article to give some insight into the matter. Does anyone have a good resource describing the physiology of straight arm strength in detail?