This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Which exercise in F1 is toughest for you?

Started by Kevin Easton, April 28, 2016 · 14 Replies · 598 Views

Kevin Easton

We all come from different backgrounds and have our own unique imbalances and strengths.

In F1, which exercise progressions DO YOU find most difficult?

Front Lever

Manna

Side Lever

Hollow Back Press

Single Leg Squat

Rope Climb

Straddle Planche

For me I find the Manna to be a brutal ego killer.  My hamstring mobility is horrible and my compression and core strength are horrible.  Even PE1 is killing me trying to balance myself with good form.  I look ahead at the next couple progressions and I laugh.  I feel like my imbalances are magnified with the Manna progressions, but I keep plugging away on F1 and stretching.

 

Ian Gibson

Currently I'd say Front Lever just because of how unpleasant it is for me. Really the only thing giving me enough willpower to go through with it is the idea of some day achieving an actual front lever. Looking ahead in the progressions, Manna will definitely be my biggest challenge. I think I say that because in the other progressions I see things I can actually do (although not well), but things like MN/PE2, 3, and 6 are totally unachievable with anything close to good ROM. Lower body mobility and compression strength is definitely a weak point for me. 

Adam Kirby

Manna from the point of view that I am nowhere near getting past PE2, but I HATE the hollow body rocks.  They are my least favorite exercise by far, lol.

Petri Widsten

I only have trouble progressing with FL as my form on FL/PE2 is not consistently acceptable (usually some head and/or leg movement). The lack of progress is frustrating given that I can do advanced tuck FLs for 30s+ if I try. I've taken a break from this exercise for a month or so to focus on improving my form on MN/PE3 - now that that's done I'll start training FL/PE2 again. Maybe one day...

Wayne Grima

I'm finding FL/PE1 to be my biggest hurdle... oh the pain.

Jon Douglas

In F1?

RCPE6 for me, no question

Dora Choi

Front Lever is also very unpleasant for me. My slowest progression is in Single Leg Squat (still in PE1).

Alessandro Di Sanzo

This is my personal top 3 F1 progressions in terms of challenging. For each of them I've been struggling for for more than 1 year!:D.

3. sPL/PE5: really hard to learn performing 5 set x 30 sec without losing protraction, depression and no piking... and of course with the minimal amount of lean required! I guess most guys struggle at this step!

2. FL/PE6: hollow body rock are inevitably the worst core killer of among FL progression inf F1. To maintain the same amount of PPT and shoulder flexion without bumping is a real challenge!! 

and the winner is:

1. HBP/PE3: I think it is the most technical of all progressions covered in F1. Many times I jumped back in order to refine the tecnique: done with perfect form (I mean to maintain protraction, depression, the proper amount of lean, relaxed feet, etc.) they are simply demoniac! Almost all guys of my country I asked about it feel the same... yes, pseudo planche push ups rule! 

Personally I found MN progression hard (I sweated very much while performing MN/PE6, the negative HLL... no doubt), but not as much as the ones I mentioned... I guess my "short" legs and a good starting point in terms of pike mobility definitely helped me to progress faster! :)

 

 

Arpad Halasz

Same as Alessandro for me: HBP/PE3 properly done with the full range of motion are brutal.

RC/PE6 was hard too but I could already manage a few 60sec sets the 1set time I tried it so it only took a couple weeks to be done with it. But I remember the pain of completing the 5 sets :)

Mark Goedeke

Most 15 rep exercises for me, with the exception of push ups

Kevin Easton

Back to my original post, I am sure Manna PE1 isn't that hard - It's essentially exposing my imbalances.   It's just hard for me because my core is so shitty that I have a hard time balancing while keeping good form.  I look at the other progressions in Manna and as soon as I build up my core strength I am going to get blasted by my TIGHT hamstrings and posterior chain.   I have been making good progress doing side and front split stretching, but I started so far behind that by the end of 1 year I hope to have average flexibility.  Yes, I think it will take me a year just to get to average.   Manna is going to be a plethora of banging my head off the wall regretting my past training deficiencies - no stretching, no core work. 

 

 

Rayne-William Fitzgerald
On 29/04/2016 at 9:09 PM, Jon Douglas said:

In F1?

RCPE6 for me, no question

Ditto... especially when using a metronome to "keep time." Then again, I am still working on a variation of the progression on the side.

Mike Kelly

I just restarted and MN/PE1 IM (windmills) feels super tight and difficult even with my tiny ROM 

Tracey Weaver

Oh dear... Where do I begin!!

There is something in each PE1 that is keeping me from moving on! 

Hollow hold - building up stamina. I had a very weak lower core.  But I am almost there!!

scap shrugs - getting that protraction in my upper back and holding PPT while doing the move is keep me from mastery.   The paired mobility here I struggle with too.

Russian twist - almost there.  I got approval for mastery but I am repeating to get a but more ROM in my lower trunk... Which for me personally is a weak point.

Tuck ups - getting that tight squeeze at the top.  I use to not be able to do any.  I am getting sets of 15 now but still working on that complete fold together when sitting up at the tip.

deck squat - Gggrrrr!!! This one is pissi for me off big time.  Combined poor low back rolling mobility, core strength and apparently ankle mobility... And not being able to use lots of momentum... I could be at this one a while!!

Push ups are a challenge getting the form down and holding PPT.

Hinge rows - I actually got the form on these.... Building strength for mastery! 

I think I will be here for quite some time!!  just finished week 6.  Been doing all three stretch series weekly too.  Change is coming.  I just need to be patient. 

 

 

 

 

Dovile Jakniunaite

I am not very far in F1, so it will change, as I understand from the previous posts, but at the moment scapular shrugs and hinge rows are the ones I have most struggle with.