This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Wrist PEs mastery

Started by Guido Franchetti, April 27, 2016 · 5 Replies · 173 Views

Guido Franchetti

Hello,

I usually perform the four wrist PEs (WP, FKP, WR, FTP) one after the other as a superset. If I have to do say 5 sets of each PE I usually do two supersets one straight after the other and then take a break of 30 seconds- one minute, then finish the other 3 supersets with or without another break. Is that fine for testing mastery, or should one test mastery for a given PE by doing 5 sets of 5 reps of the same PE one after the other? And if so, how much rest between one set and the next, if any? Thanks!

Keilani Gutierrez

programming has been left a little loose on the wrist PE's, the things we want to look for before moving on are: straight body line, consistent tempo and no hopping.

if you do these in giant set is okay, just be sure you can perform 25r total with no hopping or bending all over the place. have you tried doing these one set after the other? 

Guido Franchetti

Thanks Keilani, do you mean 5 sets of the same PE consecutively? Than no, I have not tried that, should I?

Keilani Gutierrez

wouldn't hurt :) free conditioning for the tissues, at very least. never hurt anyone, strength and endurance in the forearms will most likely be a limiter later when the grip is involved. having healthy wrists is a plus and a necessity for us later in adv. GST. not just limited to Handstands, but Ring elements (also including HS on Rings)

Guido Franchetti

If it is better for tissue conditioning to do all the sets of an elements one after the other, WP->WP->..., FKP->FKP->..., rather than WP->FKP->WR->FTP->WP->... as I am doing now, I can switch to doing that regularly.

Keilani Gutierrez
5 hours ago, Guido Franchetti said:

If it is better for tissue conditioning to do all the sets of an elements one after the other, WP->WP->..., FKP->FKP->..., rather than WP->FKP->WR->FTP->WP->... as I am doing now, I can switch to doing that regularly.

no need to switch anything up if it isn't broken, just an open option. :) I think it's more important to focus on really moving from the wrists and not counting reps that you need to bounce to complete.

regardless of the progression you are in now, maybe doing them all as a giant set with 0 zero rest would be a nice challenge before moving over to the following progression.