This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Never go more than one step?

Started by Jun Jung, April 26, 2016 · 2 Replies · 112 Views

Jun Jung

I realized that when I train bodyweight exercise,I don't progress gradually like a slope but rather like a stair.

e.g. Ive been stuck in headstand for 2weeks I couldnt do more than 10s.

BUT then next week I could do mastery of it.

In this case can I try mastery right away or should I wait for at least 9weeks to try mastery? 

 

Eva Pelegrin

Jun,

Two weeks doesn't "qualify" for being stuck – especially if it involves headstand a or handstands!

First post a form check > make any necessary adjustments > when ready, test for Mastery.

You're not going to go from 10sec to 60 sec in one week. And even if you did, 60 sec of bad form brings you back to square one (plus wasted time and energy) > Post a form check.

I wouldn't worry so much about the weeks. Read the guidelines. Follow the steps.

Progress comes in mysterious ways, mostly to those who stick to a sound process. Just because we don't see progress, it doesn't mean it is not happening. 

Cameron Williams

Hi Jun,

You can challenge mastery anytime you like. Just be sure to post a form check. Doing exercises with correct form is of the utmost importance.

With elements like headstands, I think progressions can happen quickly because balance is an important component, and the body can adapt quite quickly. Other elements where more strength and/or connective tissue adaptation is needed, progress can be slower.

So by all means, if you can do all sets at mastery level with approved form (form check ok'd by a GB moderator or instructor), Godspeed!

At the same time, there's no harm in just going step by step as well... this will cement the movement to a greater degree and will serve you as you progress through the program.

Cam