This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP/PE2 form check

Started by Tracey Weaver, April 25, 2016 · 16 Replies · 327 Views

Tracey Weaver

In deload week after one cycle in HBP/PE2.  Looking to get a form check to move to the next cycle with the  increasing rep scheme.  Thanks!!

 

 

Petri Widsten

Hi Tracey

I'm by no means an expert but to me it seems you need to 1) PPT (flat lower back) at the start then keep it all through the rep, 2) protract at the top position, 3) have arms vertical in the top position and 4) bring your hips to the floor at the same time as your chest and chin (this will change your body alignment too). Hope this is helpful.

Tracey Weaver

Yikes!  I have some work to do here!:wacko:

Does anyone have some cues for me to get into the correct positioning?  I know I can protract at the top (like the top of a scap shrug or cat).  The arms vertical in the top position?  Does that mean I am leaning to far forward... over my shoulders?  I am trying to get my chest (or lack of one!!) to touch the ground which I think is making me lean forward and making my butt stick up.  

As far as the PPT... should I just be squeezing my glutes more or actually tucking my pelvis.  

Thanks for the help!! :)

Petri Widsten

Protracting like in scap shrugs should work. I'd suggest training in front of a mirror to check you have a diagonal body line with PPT and arms vertical at the start of each rep. For obtaining PPT there are many cues like squeezing glutes and tucking your tail - the mirror will help you find one that works for you. The tough part (for me at least) is keeping it during the rep. To fix the alignment it could help thinking of bringing your hips to the floor rather than your chest. 

Someone more experienced than me will surely weigh in if my advice is not on point.

Cole Dano

Push up body line is tricky if you aren't used to doing them with core tension. Are you working on sPL/PE2 yet? That will help you understand the essentials of the line we are looking for.

A couple of quick thoughts: 

Think you are trying to touch your hips to the floor on the way down, and are pushing your bottom ribs up on the way up.

As for arm position, you can actually scoot your shoulders back just a tad, but to a certain degree it's a matter of preference if they are directly over or slightly in front of the wrists. Choose which feels more natural for you.

Tracey Weaver

Thanks guys. :-) It's not my foundations day but i wanted to try to make some adjustments to see if I am on the right track for when I am doing my sets tomorrow.  

 

 

Cole Dano

That's the idea. And you wisely cut the set when the form started to degrade. Nice job.

Petri Widsten
3 hours ago, Tracey Weaver said:

Thanks guys. :-) It's not my foundations day but i wanted to try to make some adjustments to see if I am on the right track for when I am doing my sets tomorrow.  

 

 

Seems like a big improvement! I'd still work on keeping PPT but well done.

Tracey Weaver

This is one of my sets from today's cycle.  4x6   would this form be considered mastery form once I work up to the rep load?  Thanks for watching!!

 

 

Petri Widsten

 

Good effort Tracey but IMO you need to engage that PPT and keep it. Ideally your body's alignment should not change during the rep.

Cole Dano

I think your earlier video was actually a bit better. 

IMO the best way for us to help coach you through this would be for you to post a video of HBP/PE1 and lets work the body line from there.

On top of body line issues, there is a strength issue, which reveals it self as your shoulders are rolling up toward  your ears. In many cases with this element I've found it helpful to use a HBP/PE1.5 with a bar about knee height. But lets see what happens.

Tracey Weaver

Uhg! I never sent in a mastery video from PE1.  I should have known I had it wrong! Lol

i will send in some video doing PE1 and then like you described PE1.5.

Tracey Weaver

Here is second set of 4x12 on HPB/PE1.5

I was going to cycle here (7,8,9).  Hoping the form is correct. :-)

 

 

Tracey Weaver

bumpity bump

Cole Dano

Ok, this is a good starting point. First before trying to go any lower let's try to work your body tension a bit.

Your top position is ok. I'd like a little flatter lower back, but for your body type this is acceptable.

But notice that as you lower your belly 'reaches' for the bar. Step one, instead of the belly reaching for the bar, think it's trying not to touch the bar while lowering the same distance.

Tracey Weaver

I am reaching my belly to the bar I think because the cue from before about hips should touch the floor first and then chest.  So I get in a plank ... Tuck my pelvis (PPT), make sure my elbows are tight it my body, and I am over the bar so when I lower the bar comes to my chest.  So is what your saying is my plank needs more hollow?

I really need to come to a level 1 seminar.  Lol any idea if there will be one on the east coast??

Cole Dano

Yes, you understood me, your plank needs more hollow.

So to add to the hips before shoulders 'rule' 

- Hips before shoulders, but belly button never touches.