This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

T1/2.1 – Form check + intro

Started by Eva Pelegrin, April 24, 2016 · 5 Replies · 256 Views

Eva Pelegrin

Finally I get around to introducing Tumbling One (after F7, H1, TB, H2, FS. MS is next!). Wow, I’m surprised not to see those many form checks in the Tumbling forum. Are most of you experienced “tumblers”? Seems like this is where one would need the most help since many of us didn’t get a chance to explore such developmental movement patterns and shapes as a child. Well, I’m doing it now, so please watch over me!

forest.jpeg

I like this kind of work because it elicits the fear and fun emotions that bring out the “little girl” in me. New spatial relationships can be a little intimidating and scary at first, but they’re also SO much fun to figure out. It’s like that scary feeling of entering a dark forest. When your curiosity or need is bigger than your fears you go for it because you want what’s on the other side. I find that the exhilaration that comes from confronting that primal fear leaves you freer and more whole. At which point if your form sucks is not such a burden, since you then have a reference point to work from.

I started with the Side Arch/Hollow Roll. Please bear with me in terms of my form/coordination. This is the second time I’m doing this and I can already see it exposes my front core weakness in a dynamic hollow. Meaning, I seem to be doing better in keeping my arch, but I can’t lock the hollow sufficiently in the front body. That’s my biggest take away. The body tightness and integration will come with more practice, I hope. This old dog can learn new tricks!
What do you see/think?

 

Coach Sommer

- Need to be able to observe a distinct change between your arch and hollow positions.  Currently they tend to blend together.

- Keep the shoulder blades higher off the ground during your hollow.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Eva Pelegrin

Thank you Coach. I noticed that and it sure pissed me off (momentary).  I got some work to do, thank goodness because I love workING! It was fun to roll around and see the on-duty gym manager's face.

My lizard came out looking like a different animal – a distant cousin from the course video. Not sure if it’s worth sharing that one at this early stage. Unless it helps others not feel so bad about their own attempts, haha. 

Keilani Gutierrez

lizards get better with time, however it never hurts to use bent arm planks to spend more time with a bent arm support :)

Nick Ebner

With this move, is that video considered one rep? 

Eva Pelegrin

@Nick Ebner The course says "down and back is one rep." In my video I was just trying to do the movement, not counting reps.