floor Flares! gah! .. and UFOs?

Started by DanPlanche, November 4, 2009 · 3 Replies · 1,874 Views

DanPlanche

So, any tips of conditioning excercises for Flares on the floor? I can do 3-4 circles on the floor. However I am sure they would make a gymnast cry as my legs bend slightly at the side and also catch the floor at some parts, also after the second round, my extension goes to shit. Excuse my language.

So I am just assuming as I can do circles I should be able to do Flares.. which isn't the case. I think it is because I have above average core strength as most bboys I know cannot do Circles and can do flares.

I try to get my hips out as high as possible in my flare but as I come round to my right side (I go Clockwise) My left leg sometimes scrapes the floor and the legs collapse. Sometimes when my hips go quite high it does not happen but The leg shape and extension goes when I get round to the back. and I can sometimes pull it through but lose all momentum.

I have done around 3-4 flares before but after the first one it was more like me just dragging my legs round with strength rather than momentum. For some reason now I can only do 1-2. I think this is because I cleaned up my form.

Sorry if that was confusing but any help would be much appreciated as Flares are my favorite move/skill... even though I cannot do them.

Also here at 2:05 we have what we call UFOs, now is this a move which requires a fair bit of strength? I believe you call them Russians or Wulf or in GYmnastics? The spinning part is something he added in but I want to know a good technique for learning this on the floor. At the moment I can get 1 round but my legs are too low. Any tips would be much appreciated

us5ovlARgRk

John Sapinoso

us gymnasts will want to change the entire technique, we have entirely different flares, this may not be in your best interest as a bboy.

Blairbob

Learn circle, learn a counterhipped circle, learn a spindle, straddle while doing spindle=flair.

DanPlanche

Thanks... any other conditioning that might help?