This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE4 - Supine Floor Handstand Flexion with Weighted bar

Started by Espen Lofthus, April 24, 2016 · 4 Replies · 162 Views

Espen Lofthus

So this is my form now.

I am struggeling a bit with keeping the leg all together. When i squeese them together, i feel like my gluteus maximus is contracting too much. And that makes it really hard to keep my legs straight down to the floor while pressing my lower back down. Both legs and lower back is hard to keep down at the same time.

Anyone else having this problem? And maybe have some tips? I appreciate other comments on form as well :)

Best regards

Espen

Douglas Wadle

Looks pretty good, Espen.  I would just keep working it and the legs will fairly quickly come in nicely if you focus on that.  If need be drop down to 5 lbs, and then try it for a while, then increase weight once you have that squared away.  nice job keeping your low back on the ground in PPT throughout the set.

Eva Pelegrin

Hi Espen, 

It's two of us!
I can tell you that sometimes if you fire your glutes without recruiting your adductors (inner thigh muscles), your legs/knees/toes will naturally spread out to the sides due to the glutes external rotation action. Hence it’s super critical to balance your legs' line by learning to engage our inner thigh musculature. 

In addition to pointing my toes, I think about keeping my knees and heels together like I’m holding a $100 bill in between them. Or zipping it up (closing up a zipper). I have great difficulty in doing that and I fatigue quite quickly. 

Espen Lofthus

Thanks to both of you!

Eva: Sounds like my exact problem, good to hear I am not the only one! Will try to engage my inner thigh muscles and "hold" some bills in between:lol:

Alexander Egebak

I think it is an issue of flexibility. A tight psoas major which runs from the spine to trochanter minor will pull your lower back into an arched position. Furthermore, a bit butt will also require significantly more hip flexor flexibility to keep both legs and lower back into the ground. I myself cannot do this exercise sacrificing floor contact with legs or lower back although my hip flexor flexibility is pretty decent. In fact, because of my butt, I can barely hold a full hollow body hold. I had to stretch a lot to make that happen.

I would focus on stretching. Meanwhile, do this exercise with lower back in contact, because you want ppt at all times. As you gain flexibility your legs drop down closer to the floor.

With that said I believe that some people will have a very hard time to get contact with both legs and lower back due to individual proportions.