This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How do you work on a new PE? (and log it?)

Started by Guido Franchetti, April 24, 2016 · 3 Replies · 171 Views

Guido Franchetti

I am wondering about the best way to work on a new PE. I suppose there are three things you can be lacking when you start: form/technique, strength, mobility. Let us see these case by case.

Lack of technique

Suppose that strength and mobility are not an issue at least for the first few steps, what is the best way to proceed? Should one

A) Not progress to higher steps before technique is at mastery standard? That is first build technique, than volume. However, the number of reps at step 1 is sometime so low that I doubt I can understand how to perform the correct movements without practising a higher number of reps. Maybe staying at first block until mastery-level technique is reached could be an alternative? Also, keeping it low reps I feel like I am not working enough and could lose strength...

B) Build volume and technique together. This is not to say allow for sloppy repetitions, get up to step 9 and stay there forever wondering why your form is not improving. Rather, focus on technique and as this gradually improves allow your self to progress to higher steps, even technique is not at mastery level yet. Of course you are still aiming at mastery level technique by step 9.

Regarding logging (for GB pro +), should one log honest but not perfect repetitions as by B or only mastery level ones as by A?

Lack of strength

Most likely this will come with a lack of technique too, as even if you understand perfectly which muscles to contract, if they are not strong enough form is going to suffer. What would be better here, low reps (which goes well with A above) and maximal effort, or higher volume, possibly in a regression of the PE, so to build higher volume without form deteriorating too much?

Lack of mobility

I'd think that here you need a higher volume to improve, is that right? Of course form cannot be perfect if ROM is lacking, but should be good within the ROM one has.

Petri Widsten

I prefer to do lots of short sets and check my form immediately after each set then make corrections for the next step. I do this until my I consider my form good enough to add volume. I often work PEs and iMs separately until this point and rest (= watch videos of earlier sets) between them. For volume work I combine PEs and iMs with no rest and work up to mastery though I tend not to follow the steps very much. I do additional strength work like weighted pull-ups and dips so lack of strength is rarely a problem in F1 - work capacity is. Mobility is also not something that holds me back much in F1 anymore - there I can rely on Stretch and H1 iMs. So for me it's usually 1) develop good form 2) build work capacity. A few exercises like PPPU are also challenging strengthwise so will take longer to develop.

Joshua Slocum

If lack of technique is your issue, my recommendation would be to keep the volume of your work sets fairly low - to improve your technique, take some time either before or after your workout to focus on improving the technique. When you're doing technique or skill work, a slower pace and additional rest is acceptable - the idea is to focus on improving your movement rather than taxing your muscles. For example, if you were working on your arch body rocks, you might add 5 minutes in your warmup to spend working on your arch body rock technique. Take that time to do some unstructured work - feel out the position, practice any aspects that you think need particular attention, and rest when you feel you need it. 

If you lack the strength to complete a given number of sets, then you might need to increase the volume more slowly, but you should still be increasing it. If you can't do even one rep, then the problem could be a skill/technique issue, or it could be that you need to do more work on some of the previous PE's (and you might want to post about it here to figure out what it is). 

If you lack the mobility to perform the element at a complete ROM, then you can increase the volume as normal but you can't progress to the next element until your mobility catches up. If you don't have enough mobility to perform the element at all, then you likely need to revisit some of the previous elements. 

Guido Franchetti

Thank you Petri and Joshua! I will remember to put some time aside to play with new PE and do some unstructured work and explore technique then. Would it be fine to start playing (on top of the ordinary workout) with the next progression before having reached mastery on the current one, so to start getting a feeling for the technique earlier?