This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Huge gap between RC21 & 22

Started by Mikkel Ravn, April 23, 2016 · 13 Replies · 545 Views

Mikkel Ravn

Hi Guys

Just wondering why the mastery range for RC/PE22 Circle Front Lever Pull is 5x10 reps, when it is only 5x5 for RC/PE21 Front Lever Pull?

I would estimate that PE22 is 10-15% harder per rep. Couple this with a doubling in the required reps, and mastery becomes roughly 220% of PE21 mastery. That is one big step to overcome.

I found mastery of PE21 quite easy, but have now backtracked from PE22 to PE21, and want to do mastery at 5x10r, before once again moving on to PE22. 

I have been stuck here for quite a long time, as 5x10 is difficult to work up to.

Can anyone explain the reason to me? If we were on a path to build up to 5x10r for PE22, why isn't PE21 5x10r too?

 

Alessandro Mainente

Can you post your form about the front lever pulls?

Mikkel Ravn

Hi Alex

 

Can do, but I'm off to Scotland shortly, back in ten days, so won't have time to do so for a while.

I have good form, though.

Alessandro Mainente

I would like to see the tempo, for me the gap was less only after attempting a slow and controlled tempo.

Mikkel Ravn

Ok, will post asap. 

Thanks. 

Ryan Hutchins

Sounds like your FL is probably underdeveloped. I know the moderator will help you with your form and all of that. My question is what does it matter if it is 500% harder? Get the work done. Do it 3 times a week, 5 times a week, twice a day. What is with this attitude of "why is this hard?" and not "i will get it done Coach"....? Seems like your attitude might be your weakness and not the movement. Imagine doing Back Lever pull/press to Planche. You think that is harder than doing Back Lever pull to support? Gymnastics isn't progressively fair and this strength is just the tip my friend. I hope your training continues forward as Foundation 4 will be quite a grind. 

Christopher Denzer

Hi everyone:

I want to make sure I am reading the reps/sets right. The scheme below indicates 6 circles per direction (clockwise and counter-), yes?

CapturFiles.png

Mikkel Ravn
On 9/5/2016 at 11:47 PM, Ryan Hutchins said:

Sounds like your FL is probably underdeveloped. I know the moderator will help you with your form and all of that. My question is what does it matter if it is 500% harder? Get the work done. Do it 3 times a week, 5 times a week, twice a day. What is with this attitude of "why is this hard?" and not "i will get it done Coach"....? Seems like your attitude might be your weakness and not the movement. Imagine doing Back Lever pull/press to Planche. You think that is harder than doing Back Lever pull to support? Gymnastics isn't progressively fair and this strength is just the tip my friend. I hope your training continues forward as Foundation 4 will be quite a grind. 

Resurrection of an old post, I know but... You've got no idea how hard I've been working on this, so please don't make assumptions. I was just wondering why, in spite of a lot of volume, sessions, and attempts I was not progressing.

Indeed, the point I was getting at was why the previous progressions didn't build to 5x10 rather than 5x5, as this would have yielded better preparation.

Rayne-William Fitzgerald
On 12/1/2016 at 11:43 AM, Christopher Denzer said:

Hi everyone:

I want to make sure I am reading the reps/sets right. The scheme below indicates 6 circles per direction (clockwise and counter-), yes?

 

No. For this particular preparatory element. A circle to the right is one repetition and circle to the left is another repetition.

If you wish... you can hold yourself to the standard of one circle to the right and a circle to the left equals one repetition. Without relying on momentum, if you go slow enough the overall mastery requirement of 5 sets of 10 repetitions total will be difficult. 

There used to be a "stickied" thread in the F1 section that answered  the Foundation One frequently asked questions similar to this one. I am hoping the common question will be added to the FAQ section of the course material at some point.

Ryan Hutchins
On 12/1/2016 at 0:00 PM, Mikkel Ravn said:

Resurrection of an old post, I know but... You've got no idea how hard I've been working on this, so please don't make assumptions. I was just wondering why, in spite of a lot of volume, sessions, and attempts I was not progressing.

Indeed, the point I was getting at was why the previous progressions didn't build to 5x10 rather than 5x5, as this would have yielded better preparation.

I stated nothing in my reply. I mentioned to how it might seem or come across and then had a question for you. I am careful not to word things in a way as to cast judgement on anyone. Getting stuck is no fun but there usually isn't a magic bean other than to put in more work and be patient. Eat right, train hard, and train more. I apologize if you felt i was attacking your character. As with all things gymnastics related... you must forge your own trail sometimes. I hope you have moved past this and are climbing ropes now :)

 

Randeep Walia
On 12/31/2016 at 5:37 PM, Ryan Hutchins said:

I stated nothing in my reply. I mentioned to how it might seem or come across and then had a question for you. I am careful not to word things in a way as to cast judgement on anyone. Getting stuck is no fun but there usually isn't a magic bean other than to put in more work and be patient. Eat right, train hard, and train more. I apologize if you felt i was attacking your character. As with all things gymnastics related... you must forge your own trail sometimes. I hope you have moved past this and are climbing ropes now :)

 

I don't know how "careful" you were being, but keep in mind that this program is still young and changing, so it's important to bring things like this up. In this case it does seem like PE21 should be 10 reps, or PE22 should be 5 reps (or 6 reps, given the double-sided nature of this element)

Kai Ewert

I agree it's important to bring things like this up, we've seen the program change in response to how people were getting on with it - more than once now. 

That being said, the current step up from arch ups (SL PE4) to twisting arch ups (PE5) is similar, from 10 r to 10 r per side, essentially doubling the volume...

Randeep Walia

Kai- I am pretty sure twisting arch ups is 5 reps per side. I think Wesley even confirms this in the demonstration video.

Kai Ewert

The follow-along video has 10 reps per side...