This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Pre-diabetic??

Started by Colm O'Shea, April 22, 2016 · 8 Replies · 134 Views

Colm O'Shea

I decided to get some blood work done as I'm the wrong side of 35 and it's been years since I was at a doctor's office. Just got the results and (while there's lots of good news) I noted that my hemoglobin A1C test came back with a score of 5.7% This, according to the lab readout, puts me on the first rung of "pre-diabetic". What the hell? I barely consume any sugar, and I've cut out lots of refined flours, breads, pasta and noodles. I skip jam and hardly eat fruit (i'm focusing on veg intake instead) and only have one or two alcoholic drinks a week--with food. Any tips on how I could dial this number back into the safe range?  

Jeff Serven

Colm,

THe tuber by itself means nothing. You need to get a fasting blood glucose amongst other things. I hope your doctor took all of this test and not just that one. 

Colm O'Shea

Jeff, thanks for replying. I fasted the night before giving blood, but they didn't give me that super-sweet glucose drink to drink, if that's what you mean. 

Jeff Serven

no, you don't have to have that. How long did you fast for? 

Colm O'Shea

Had my dinner 9pm the night before. Had the blood drawn about 12 hours later at 9:30am. Other results were I had super-low Vit D so I was prescribed a Vit D booster (take one a week for 4 weeks). But the "pre-diabetic" thing really caught me off-guard. I've been painstaking about removing as much refined flours and sugars in my diet as possible. I eat white rice and/or potato nearly every lunch/dinner. Should I dial that back, or what?  

Jeff Serven

what was the fasting blood glucose number? 

 

Colm O'Shea

106mg/dl. It's listed as "Above high normal," (they list 65-99 as normal range) as is my BUN/Creatinine ratio: 21. (They list 8-19 as normal.)

Jeff Serven

The "normal" is just the average of the group taking those test at that specific lab or that company(depending on brand) so the standards mean nothing. Cancer patients, obese, etc. are all included. So unless you want to compare your heath to Homer Simpson, just ignore those numbers. 

106 is high. 80 is achievable with some work. From what I know you are doing all that you should be doing. It may have been 120 in December. Stick to what your doing and lets get it re done in 100 days. RBC reproduce every 90 so sooner than that us useless you will get the exact  same A1C number. Basically we are testing the next batch. 

Colm O'Shea

Very reassuring. I'll re-test in in August or Sept and see what's what. 

Thanks for your time, Jeff.