This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Shoulder Extension Weighted Work

Started by Ryan Bailey, April 21, 2016 · 3 Replies · 170 Views

Ryan Bailey

Hello,

I have been working shoulder extension. My ROM is not cool. Since I seem to respond to weighted, or inverted stretch/strengthening work, I have added this for shoulder extension. (Note: I have also liked @Alessandro Mainente earlier discriptions of pike position, or forward lean, to stand, holding shoulder extension with strong shoulder extensor muscles. In this video, I am obviously only working the antagonist to lengthen with 30 lb bar. 

Any feedback on form or specific details? 

Thanks.

Alessandro Mainente

Personally I consider variation an exercise with very high stress on biceps and not for beginner, so if you haven't at least mastered the shoulders extension IM of handstand you are not experimenting a safe position. Also a decent passive shoulders extension should be previously acquired before this variation. the extension with excessive rolled forward shoulders it is not good for your rotator cuff and long head bicep tendon.

Ryan Bailey

Thank you Alessandro. Exactly what I wanted to know. I have plenty of other extension variations that I feel are giving adequate adaptation. I think I will discharge this supplemental exercise for now and continue with your other recommendations for HS PE2 iM. (Side note: I have also stopped the weighted pancake with bar by the way, until I get better elevated pancake ROM.)

Alexander Egebak

I agree with Alessandro on this one.

These weighted shoulder flex pulls (as I know them by) are not for beginners since you are greatly in risk of overstretching pecs, biceps and forearms. With less weight the stretch basically becomes useless.

However once you release tightness in the shoulders, let us say being able to get horizontal with 5 kg on this exercise without excessive strain and with correct form (no forward roll of shoulders), you should begin to use it as it is very effective.