This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Bridge shoulder position

Started by Jason Dupree, April 21, 2016 · 4 Replies · 282 Views

Jason Dupree

Ok so after learning my arms were a bit too internally rotated in my bridge my goal has been to correct this. My trouble has been transferring what I think is the correct position seen here in my inverted cat to an elevated bridge.

VIDEO1223_0000028119.jpg

I decided to work with the wall bridge while working on shoulder position since I feel more in control. I still do the series as normal as well. 

it looks like my shoulders are retracted and internally rotated a bit here, same thing happens in my elevated bridge (actually worse in that version) I also feel a restriction, like I run out of room in my shoulders, which I don't feel in the inverted cat. I try pressing my shoulders and armpits forward to protract but the result is what you see. 

So 1. Does this even matter? Alessandro mentioned a risk of bicep impingement with internal rotation, and I also just don't like how it looks. And 2. If it does, any tips?

For reference here's the vid where the internal rotation was pointed out. 

 

Douglas Wadle

I am not knowledgeable enough to comment on your question, but wanted to say Nice T-spine mobility!

Coach Sommer

Narrowing your grip (perhaps even all the way into a diamond with index fingers and thumbs touching) while pressing that chest out further in front of the hands will automatically correct most of those issues.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Mats Trane
On 21 april 2016 at 2:40 PM, Coach Sommer said:

Narrowing your grip (perhaps even all the way into a diamond with index fingers and thumbs touching) while pressing that chest out further in front of the hands will automatically correct most of those issues.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

This is something (narrowing the grip) I just started doing lately and it has helped me a lot to feel the stretch in the right place. I like it a lot!

Jason Dupree

So! Tried this out the past two TB sessions. First one just could not get it. More success this time. I measured the distance by making my hands touch my head on the way up. Took a step back height wise, but the arms look and feel better. I feel more stretch in the torso as opposed to mostly shoulders. Look better @Coach Sommer?

VIDEO1265_0000034204.jpg

I think I need to start doing any flexion with a grip narrower than shoulder width. The internal rotation doesn't go away until I get narrower than shoulder width. Playing with bar flexions, could nearly get my hands touching and still get to 180 degrees. Left side started to drop though.