This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

First proper straight handstands

Started by Mike Bracher, April 19, 2016 · 2 Replies · 193 Views

Mike Bracher

Hi all,

Just wanted to share a milestone on the handstand - been away from GB for about a month-6 weeks, and when I've had any time in that period I've just gone straight for fun stuff to unwind.  During that time I found that I can actually hold straight handstands and re-balance a bit.  I've got past 10 seconds about 5-6 times now, and most of the time I can hit 5-7 seconds timing from when I straighten my legs at the top.  Drew on a lot of the basics that I learned on here and through the course, and it was a lot of fun just playing around at this milestone to unwind.

Further conditioning definitely required though - was enjoying myself so much with it I think I started to overdo it, and some discomfort started down the outside of the forearm after rebalancing.  So back to basics for a while to get strong enough to work this properly, but it's been fun getting first 'proper' handstand :)

Mike.

 

Ben Neal

How much handstand stuff had you done / been doing before your break from GST and subsequent discovery you can hand stand  Mike?

Mike Bracher

https://youtu.be/gPo3LQOpR00

So, this is where I'm at right now.  I'd been following HS1 for about 6 months or so - and just messing about with handstand holds at the end of sessions.

Lots of work needed, but one more rung on the ladder.  One thing I would say is that GB has really changed my mindset  with respect to how much work is needed to achieve sustainable progress without hitting a bottleneck or injury caused by inadequate prep.  While I was away just playing around, I found that I was getting soreness around the elbow when I did a lot.  Before GB I would have interpreted that as 'this needs more conditioning (i.e. more work)' as opposed to 'this is fine to play around with, but this area actually needs more rest and work on preparatory elements over a longer period, before we can push further with the fun stuff'.