This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

RC/PE 1-5 with a towel

Started by Gabor Kulcsar, April 19, 2016 · 2 Replies · 122 Views

Gabor Kulcsar

I'm currently on vacation, but luckily I happen to have my towel with me (see also: http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/24779-a-towel-the-hitchhiker-s-guide-to-the-galaxy-says-is) and even managed to find a place to hang it from (the railing of some stairs), just so that I can do my RC/PE work - no access to rings here. Actually, I don't mind the rings missing so much, because the towel variant is so much more demanding on the grip - I can wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who doesn't feel challenged in grip strength doing the RC series.

As a matter of fact, I was just wondering if it would be beneficial to use this variant during normal workouts - are the any drawbacks vs the rings? My grip could use some extra work... I was also thinking about adding some extra finger/wrist stretches at the end.

Keilani Gutierrez

I've read of a few people doing the rows with their BJJ gi or belt. that will depend on location or convenience, with a little bit of creativity having the rings is possible, but if you can't make it happen using a towel is an alternative. although it should be understood if you find it more difficult. just don't count for mastery with a Towel, if you're a raw beginner. the position the towel puts your grip will be heavily worked on in specific RC progressions(when you're actually on the rope). no harm in dabbling in it now, but keep things in perspective, if it were more important than developing strength / mobility of the Lats, Rhomboids, Rotator Cuff, etc it would have taken precedence. :)

enjoy your vaca and nice reference to Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. :P

Alessandro Mainente

Towel are extremely hard on the grip, not a chance that in different gyms and also by Coach the towels could be a good alternative for rope.