Continuing my initial assessment of F1 work, thanks in advance for the feedback! Here is SL PE1 +iM
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Guido Franchetti, April 19, 2016 · 18 Replies · 250 Views
Continuing my initial assessment of F1 work, thanks in advance for the feedback! Here is SL PE1 +iM
Hey Guido, I'd like you to sit with a straighter back. Right now you are sort of crunching into the twist rather than rotating from a straight spine.
The iM is OK, you kind of lost the movement for a second but got it right back. I like to think of leading from the hips when doing these and letting the upper body follow.
Thanks Cole, what do you mean by crunching into the twist? By looking at the mirror and at the video I thought my back was reasonably straight, but clearly I am missing something.
Take a look at the thumbnail on your Youtube vid. You can see pretty clearly that your back, upper back in particular, is rounding. It's reasonably straight when you face forward, but rounds as you turn to the side.
Not sure I have understood how to correct these, is it any better now?
Thanks in advance for the feedback!
bump
You are definitely straighter now. Great!
Two things for now.
1) The idea here is to have a straight body, and lean back apx 30 degrees from the hips and twist on that axis.
You've pretty much got that now, just think of keeping your chest up at the end of the twist.
2) With your arms, as you come around front with the weight, think it's coming straight forward out from you chest, so it will be up from horizontal as much as you lean back.
For the iM; the swivel hips ROM is fine, just work on making it a smooth natural motion.
Is this fine for mastery?
Hi Guido,
As Coles advice above indicates, whilr yourstraight body is there (good work btw) there needs to be a bigger angle at the hips, a lean back with that straight body. This will keep the tension more constant instead of switching on and off.
Second point, more minor, is to keep the weight straight out. You are raising and lowering it in an arc here, which is not correct ![]()
Coming along, the last details now ![]()
Tried to lean more, and I could feel more muscle activation. Is this good to go?
bump
It's better every post, but the same basic issue is there, only to a much less degree.
You've done a great job finding the lower back so there is very little rounding there now lets work on the upper body.
Look at your video and notice how at the front of the rep your chest is open and upright and at the end of the rep its closed and rounded.
Work to keep your chest upright for the full rep, even as you bring it over to the side.
In part this may be due to swinging the weight too much from the shoulders.
Think instead that the entire movement of the weight is geared by your midsection. While you are working this out, don't worry how far around you get, or if you touch the weight to the floor or not. Rotate the weight dynamically from the core and when the movement starts, reggae to go the other way.
Ok! In the second paragraph what do you mean by "finding"? Also you meant "very light rounding", correct? Sorry, I am not trying to be pedantic, only to be sure that I understand your advice.
Was I leaning enough or should I try to improve on that too?
Thanks a lot!
No worries, in other words, you fixed the round lower back issue. There was also a typo, should read "very little rounding"
Your lean is fine.
I have tried keeping the chest open and upright for the whole movement - also I can feel the obliques working much more.
Is this fine? To me it appears so, but I may be missing something...
I think you have the idea now, great job!
Cool! Can I move to PE/2 then?
@Cole Dano Hi Cole, is it fine if I move on or should I consolidate this a bit? Thanks
I'd consolidate a little and move next cycle.