Here is my first attempt at this element. Please let me know anything I might be doing wrong
or if it's ok and just a matter of building strength to move on. As always many thanks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyQi-Fxjkco
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Wayne Grima, April 19, 2016 · 6 Replies · 149 Views
Here is my first attempt at this element. Please let me know anything I might be doing wrong
or if it's ok and just a matter of building strength to move on. As always many thanks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyQi-Fxjkco
The protraction looks fine. I suggest you start learning to depress your scaps now as this will really help in the future. You want to feel the activation in the serratus, lats and traps.
3 hours ago, Gavin Strelitz said:The protraction looks fine. I suggest you start learning to depress your scaps now as this will really help in the future. You want to feel the activation in the serratus, lats and traps.
I'm unclear on what is meant, where do I depress the scaps in this element, I thought it was
all about the protraction in this exercise. Or am I getting depression mixed up with retraction.
Thanks Gavin for the tip.
This exercise is about protraction. Future sPL progressions will require protraction and depression so I am just suggesting to get a head start and begin to learn what depressing the scapulae feels like now using a progression that has a relatively light load.
Protraction and retraction are opposites while depression and elevation are opposites but in the vertical plane. Depression is about moving the scaps downwards, away from the ears. It facilitates a strong Lat engagement.
Aahh, I knew I was getting them mixed up, I just did a hold while depressing the scaps
and I certainly did feel the difference, it is a big difference, thank you for the tip I appreciate
it.
Hi, I'm back with a new form check. I've been experimenting and trying to understand PPT and it's importance
for correct form as well as for everyday things like holding good posture, walking etc. Would this be a step in the
right direction or I'm further away from correct form. The exercise feels very different now and I find it more taxing.
I'll let the video do the talking and compare it with my previous attempt. After the 1 minute point of the video I was just
playing around with the concept of depressing the scapular. I'm aware the back arches while experimenting with the
depression. As always, thank you.
Nice PPT on the Push Up plank hold.
From what I understand about the depression during sPL progressions, it's not so much about maximally depressing the scaps (as doing so while also maximally Protracting isn't really possible) but about making sure not to let the scaps elevate.
So you might be more towards the depression end of the spectrum than the elevation end, but trying to maximally depress will cause some loss of "hollow" shape as you seem to have found out.
That is my understanding anyhow.