This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Finally finished Thrive 1!

Started by Jun Chan, April 19, 2016 · 1 Replies · 90 Views

Jun Chan

I started Thrive at the beginning of February and just finished up this weekend. I thought I was doing pretty well before the course, but turns out I had a lot to learn. While the overall quality of my food was pretty good, my portions and timing were kinda off.

I'm still not 100% perfect and was probably a nutritional idiot more often than I'd like, but overall I think the Thrive way of eating is sustainable. My weight didn't change much and I feel like I don't look all that different, but I think it can only improve from here. Will take that after photo soon to see if anything actually changed.

Habits Before

  • Inconsistent Vegetable Intake When I did have lunch veggies, they weren't always raw.
  • Carb Avoidance My previous dietary habits went from the Standard American Diet, to "healthy whole grains" and low fat, to paleo/primal, and then I even dabbled in keto (I know, I know). Right when I started Thrive, I was on the low-carb route and avoided most of the Thrive starches except squashes. For a brief period, I even avoided the more "sugary" fruits (bananas, mangos, pineapple). Felt gassed during workouts a lot of the time.
  • Water Consumption I usually got at least 1L of water everyday, but rarely 2L. Varies depending on how thirsty I got.
  • Fake Healthy Foods I would make "healthified" versions of cakes, cookies, etc with almond flour, coconut flour, dates, etc. Would often have these for breakfast.
  • Breakfast Composition I'd sometimes have eggs in the morning, but I usually did not have a properly portioned fat + protein meal for breakfast. Sometimes I'd only have coffee/tea with heavy cream until lunch.

After

  • Fewer Cravings Before, I'd sometimes binge on junk and still want more after. Now, I rarely feel cravings for junk, and when I do have it, I'm satisfied with having less of it.
  • Awww yeah carbs Potatoes, rice, and fruit are delicious, and I'm just glad I can have them.
  • More Energy Overall I feel more energized during workouts and feel less sore.

 

Work in Progress

  • Sleep I usually get 7 hours but usually don't get 8. Really gotta try hard for this one.
  • Breakfast Portion Still figuring this one out, as I would get pretty hungry before lunch. My usual go to would be about 2 cups Greek yogurt or 3 eggs. Am probably going to up this to 4 eggs and maybe coffee/tea with cream. I eat around 7am and lunch is around noon.
  • Non-Optimal Foods Am gradually using up non-optimal stuff in my kitchen to prepare for Thrive 2. Gonna enjoy some soy sauce here and there until I'm told to stop eating it. :D
Jeff Serven

Jun,

Nice work on both Thrive and this review. You have put good analysis and thought into it. I like how you identify the before habits, after and the works in progress. I really like that you are looking at the glass half full, we are always going to be doing something that isn't "optimal" in your case sleeping but, as long as we are constantly working on improving the months will go by and you will just keep getting better and better until it is virtually effortless.

Good job!

Jeff