This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SPL/PE1 Form check

Started by Johan Tideland, April 18, 2016 · 18 Replies · 353 Views

Johan Tideland

Hello, This is my performance at SPL/PE1 and im. 

You should know that I have had herniated disc, if you want you can read about the extent of it in the link below. Because of my injury I have also been stuck on this exercise since September 2015. 

Anyway, here are the clips, the first 2 are of the scapular shrugs and the third is the im.

1 https://youtu.be/EclIWJfwOwo

2 https://youtu.be/skN1W_SdceE

im https://youtu.be/E4ClrHRM1XI

Tell me if you want a video of another angle. Thanks in advance

Johan

Cole Dano

The shrugs themselves are fine, but the iM's ROM still needs some work.

To start with put more focus on the knee that's to the outside (eternally rotated), rather than forcing the knee that's to the inside (internally rotated) down.

Johan Tideland

I will do that, thank you Cole. I will make  new vid where I try to focus more on the outside knee in a day or two when I am back home and have my camera. 

Cole Dano

No hurry, enjoy your training :)

Johan Tideland

 Here is a new vid of me doing the im, I try to focus on the outside knee.

https://youtu.be/5xooub9AUko

 

Johan Tideland

bump

 

Cole Dano

It's better for sure but still some ways to go. 

Play around a little with your foot position and see if you can find one that's most advantageous for you.

Continue to focus on the outer knee first and then when it's down the inner knee as well. As the ROM gets more natural you can start to do both at the same time.

Jon Douglas

Your externally rotating leg is ok, or very nearly. Still coming up short on the internally rotating one.

I prefer to have the legs a little closer together; personally I do them only a little wider than shoulder width. I just tried it and whilst it's no problem doing it wider, I feel a little stretch in my glute area, whereas I don't feel it at all with legs narrower. Probably just a slight difference in width vs. tight/loose spots.

Johan Tideland

Thanks Jon, I will keep working on these, I have seen improvement over the last couple of months so I guess a few more will not hurt.

The reason why I have done them with legs a bit wider is that I feel like I can go deeper with my internally rotating leg but perhaps it is a bit cheating to do them wider.

I will work on having my legs a little closer together.

Johan Tideland

Hey, thanks for the answer @Cole Dano. Now this feels a bit odd because I am pretty sure that you made a post on this topic a few hours ago but the post seems to be gone, anyway I remember what you wrote.

Here is a new video with a bit more flow on the swivel hips, how do they look? are they good enough or should I keep on working on this?

https://youtu.be/oHCk1yefDeI

Johan

Melody Bosch

For me, your knees look really good, so much improvement! B-)

I would then say to look at keeping your internal glute on the floor the whole time, and to stiffen your ankles so you're rolling smoothly across the bottom of your foot. But that's me. I'm not sure if that's important, but those are things that bother me in my exercise. Your hip and knee movement is smooth, but the rest of you isn't as fluid.

Also in an old thread I read how people thought the lower back should be arched, so if I understand it correctly your shoulders would curve away from your hips, not towards. Although I'm not sure if that would work with your hernia.

Everett Carroll
1 hour ago, Melody Bosch said:

For me, your knees look really good, so much improvement! B-)

I would then say to look at keeping your internal glute on the floor the whole time, and to stiffen your ankles so you're rolling smoothly across the bottom of your foot. But that's me. I'm not sure if that's important, but those are things that bother me in my exercise. Your hip and knee movement is smooth, but the rest of you isn't as fluid.

Also in an old thread I read how people thought the lower back should be arched, so if I understand it correctly your shoulders would curve away from your hips, not towards. Although I'm not sure if that would work with your hernia.

Good advice Melody. @Johan Tideland Keeping your glutes firmly planted is really going to help you get a deeper stretch. Keep your feet in contact with floor as you transition and work to move nice and smooth from side to side. It does help, like Melody said, to keep a flat back as you work these. 

Johan Tideland

Thanks a lot for the advice Melody and Everett, I will keep working on these and implement the advice I have gotten

Johan

Johan Tideland

Hi

I would like some advice on how to improve my swivel hips, I don't think they are at mastery level yet but I am starting to get frustrated with the slow improvements on them, its been about 1 years since I started them.

I do about 20-30 swivel hips every day and I do the middle split stretch every week.

Here is from today 

I really appreciate all the feedback I can get.

Johan

Pauline Taube

Great improvement, Johan! 

Very nice execution, patience and consistency pays off :) 

Johan Tideland

Thanks a lot!