This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN-PE5 Form check

Started by Eva Pelegrin, April 15, 2016 · 9 Replies · 161 Views

Eva Pelegrin

My shoulders are starting to feel “connected” and “on.” I’ve been enjoying my little hanging time, almost like the old days. I used to do lots of similar drills and reps. Like a machine, I had control I could pause anywhere. It will come back, I hope!

My first video is my starting point and the second is from a few weeks later. I started trying to go higher to touch the bar, but still using more momentum than I want to.

https://youtu.be/aMfHvHbje4g

https://youtu.be/iApSs_XfIkU

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Do not bend your legs at the beginning, if you cannot hold them straight  i suggest some hll negative with ankles weight.

Eva Pelegrin

Regarding your comment of not bending my legs at the beginning, are you referring to my 1st or 2nd video? Or both?

If you’re talking about my second video, great, I can see how my execution and straighter legs there need to improve, as I continue to build my core strength to do it with more easy and control. I will definitely try the HLL negatives with ankles weights, thank you.

On my first video, I'm afraid this is what my "straight legs" look like:(. I just played my 1st video in slow motion and I don’t see my knees bending at the beginning. I remember having my knees locked. i set that from from the start with pointed toes and calves + quads fully engaged. When I fully contract my leg muscles my knees hyper extend (posterior laxity) and it may appear like I’m bending my knees when I am not. To further clarify, please see my FL/PE3 link below with static straight legs and let me know if they look bent there. 

Maksis Riley

The HLL negatives are PE6, no? I wonder if it would be beneficial to work only to the 90° position and focus on maintaining more contact with the lower back and stall bars? Just a thought.

 

Max

Eva Pelegrin

Not sure Maksis. When I was working to just 90º with my lower back touching the stall bars, that was no problem for me. In contrast, trying to curl my lower back away and high up as required for the next element is going to be more difficult.

Since PE6 will require to tuck up high up and pause up there with spinal flexion, lately, I've been focusing on going higher up than required for PE5 (and because I'm familiar with different kinds of HLL). I just chose the simplest variation to re-gain some basic core strength in preparation for later transitioning to PE6 with some degree of dignity. Having a wooden rung behind my head is no fun at all. Now I know why some stall bars don't have the last few rungs!

As I'm sure you know, there's a huge jump between PE5 and PE6 and we're going to have to fill that gap with other micro-progressions. I would love to hear what others have done.

Maksis Riley

That's fair enough and I had paid more attention to the second video than the first so I spoke too soon :)

 

Max

Andrew Long

quick question:  should we be aiming for a hollow at the bottom position?  or like in the op video where she went arch to hollow?  i know the arch hollow can help the bottom position by creating a ltiny bit of momentum  and i have heard coach talk about the importance of moves like arch hollow snaps but does that apply to foundation?

Eva Pelegrin

@Andrew Long I can tell you that the action of lifting the legs up requires the start of PPT. I know this from dance, circus and general functional anatomy. What you see in my first video (yellow top), is not so much going form "arch to hollow." When I dead hang, you'll see a big arch in my lower back without me doing a thing. What you see me do is actively engage with a PPT as I begin to lift my legs. Hope this answers your question.;)

The arch to hollow snaps have a place in more advance skills. 

Andrew Long

of course you want to start ppt at the begging of the exercise my question was should you always have it, rather than relaxing at the bottom as you do (aka the arch)  i wasnt implying you were forcing the arch.

Andrew Long

cheers zach