A couple of weeks into F1, let us see how many things I've got wrong! Here are HBP PE1 and relative iM
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Guido Franchetti, April 15, 2016 · 19 Replies · 229 Views
A couple of weeks into F1, let us see how many things I've got wrong! Here are HBP PE1 and relative iM
The elevated push ups are good, except you need to work on keeping your pelvis tucked (PPT) and bottom ribs in so your lower back stays flat with no sagging.
When you start your work on sPL PE2 this will make more sense.
Thank you very much for all your feedback in this and the other threads Cole.
PPT is the same movement done to have the back flat to the ground in e.g, the hollow body position, right? Any advice on how to get it/feel it in the pushup? Is it is a matter of keeping the abs engaged or do I also need to rotate the pelvis somehow? And finally, what does keeping the bottom ribs in mean?
As relates to the hollow position, PPT is what the hips do to create a flat lower back, yes they rotate so it feels like you are tucking your tailbone a bit.
The lower ribs in controls the top half of the midsection. So if you were laying on the floor and wanted to flatten your lower back the top of the pelvis would roll down and the bottom of the ribs would pull down.
Engaging the abs helps to do both of these actions.
The sPL and HBH early steps will help with this, and you can also find some PPT drills in middle section H1 which you are free to try as well.
Thanks!
Hahahaha I googled for some images and apparently PPT is not only good for pushups! (scroll toward the bottom)
I think the H1 drills are the iMs of PE9 - PE12 and also the iMs SE1 - SE4. Probably better to focus on the PE for now.
I worked on the PPT. At the gym looking on a mirror it seemed better, but from the video I am not too sure anymore...
I usually do it on a lower bar but at home I do not have anything suitable.
Would this be fine for mastery?
The iM is not visible clearly, so here is another version of it
bump
Sorry, but not there yet, still too much variation in shape and too much arch in the lower back.
Your set up may be in part to blame, it's so close to the wall it almost forces you to compensate. Maybe a table would be a better choice?
Thanks! As stupid as that sounds there are no real tables in the place I am renting, but I'll find something suitable and re-video, it looked better at the gym, or at least so it seemed to me. Of course having a mirror helps a lot.
@Cole Dano I tried it with a different setup.
I am not totally sure about what I should correct.
- In the second video I am slightly more distant from the "bar", but I do not think I can have my body line totally straight without any piking.
- The arching of thoracic (?) spine at the top is my attempt to protract, isn't that fine?
- Is the problem that I am loosing PPT at the bottom of the rep? I am not sure about that
Thanks a lot for the feedback.
You want a straight rigid line through your body with no extra movement in your hips and low back. I think Cole is right about your setup not doing any favors. You engage PPT to start but your hips are already piked, as your descending you lose PPT and start to arch, either because you lack coordination, strength or because you run out of room for your head.
Step one open your hips to 180 and tuck your tailbone to posteriorly tilt your pelvis, Step 2 squeeze your abs and ass to lock it all in place. Step 3 lower your body using your arms without any change in the shape of your lower back or hip position. Step 4 reverse direction again no change in body line fully extend your elbows and continue to push into protraction at the top of the rep.
I think your focusing too much on the last bit of protraction when your biggest deficiency is the holding body line.
If its better at the gym video at the gym.
Sorry if my comments are too blunt I don't want to be discouraging. Keep working and posting video's we will help you figure it out.
Thanks Ryan, your comments are very welcome. I think I misunderstood Cole's remark about my setup and recreated one with the same problems. I will work on keeping hips open at all times and a straight body line.
Ryan said pretty much everything I was going to say.
For you right now, keeping that tension is far more important than how low you go down, so don't feel like you have to touch your chest to the ledge. If you keep tension and your head (lightly) touches the window before your chest has touched the ledge, no big deal, just stop the rep and push on up.
Strength is obviously not an issue here, so we'll fix any ROM issue when you get to the floor.
Setup is the same, hopefully body line has improved a bit. I think my main mistake was to start with feet to far from the "bar", and then piking to compensate. Any thoughts? Thanks!
This is much better, much less variance in body shape.
You are still leading your way down from the hips and belly, try to think that you will touch your forehead to the wall without touching your belly to the box.
That said, I don't want to spend too much time here, as obviously there are no strength gains to be had, and I'd rather get you down, to either that table I see off to the side, or the floor soon.
Good, thanks! I will spend another week or so on the incline version focusing on your clues and then have a go on the floor and post a video check.
Had the chance to try it with a different setup. How does it look like?
I always struggle to feel if the body line is good.
Shall I move to PE2?
bump
I can see that maybe I lack a bit of protraction at top, and that while trying to protract I pike a bit. Still unsure if it is better to stay on this or move to PE2 to get more strength gains.
This is a big improvement over previous videos I've seen. It's good enough to move to the floor IMO.