This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

FL/PE3 Form Check

Started by Eva Pelegrin, April 14, 2016 · 11 Replies · 225 Views

Eva Pelegrin

After 3 months of bent HB rocks, it’s almost nice and surprisingly easier to be still! Form critique, please. 

 

 

Eva Pelegrin

Sorry, posted in Foundations by mistake. Can someone "move" me to form checks? Thank you.

Eva Pelegrin

I'm going to continue working on this one AS IS until I get some feedback, please.
This is as straight as I can make make legs. Is this straight enough? :( 

Ryan Bailey

Let's just say, if you do not "pass" with this form, then I will go back and be stuck on this for a while longer :)

Looks good.  I think the goal is to get our assess to hollow body rocks and move on! But what do I know?

Andrew Long

it looks good but from that angle we cant see your hollow very well.  I'd go for more of a side on a view if you can.

Eva Pelegrin

With your back Ryan, anytime! The next HB Rocks will be unforgiving with my stiff lower back. Unless I wear my motorcycle helmet or hold a weight over my head, not sure how my straddle rocks are going to pass.:unsure: I know I’ll have a much easier time with HB Rocks than the Straddle ones. Has anyone encountered the same challenge? Any observations, suggestions, bets, anyone??

I will dial up my lower back mobility starting mañana! @Jon Douglas’s post today gave hope that perhaps one day my facets will, puff, unlock. My lower back musculature is still very contracted. Between my big butt, wait, I think @Mark Collins called it “decent size glutes” haha and remember how you noticed my convex lower back, I have quite a few obstacles to deal with.

Btw, if there’s any other beginner reading this thread, full disclosure, I’ve been doing and teaching HB holds for years because they’re such a good damn exercise! I just wasn’t doing them for 60s x 5, day in and out, and certainly not rocking (that’s "new” to me).

I may have landed at GB out of shape, post-surgery and limping with old injuries… but I also have a long training history in many movement disciplines and I’m no stranger to training/working hard. It’s like water for me. Gymnastics has a lot of crossover conditioning elements with various martial arts, aerial/circus, clubbells – all of which I’ve studied for years (in the past) and obviously gained some experience from them. 

I would’t want any other “beginner" to compare their progress to mine. I’m not saying this because I think I’m so f*'ing “fabulous." Quite the opposite. I’m the eternal student. I’ve been a beginner many, many times and the ONE thing I love more than teaching is learning and being a student, which is why I’m taking this course.:P

Hi Andrew, here’s an older side view. I actually changed the angle above in order to show I have a straddle. 

Jon Douglas

Looks fine to me. The only potential flag I have is an occasional tendency to crane your neck forward. This will cause you discomfort in rocks if you are not mindful of it; as always in hollows get long not high :)

Eva Pelegrin

Is it ok to practice the Straddle HB Rocks with hands overhead (if you're already familiar with HB Holds arms position)?

Eva Pelegrin

:D:D Thank you Coach! I'll start working on it this week, today, actually and 50% on my off days.  I want to "qualify" for real work that lies ahead!

Jon Douglas

I get a lot of value out of holding a broomstick in hollow body rocks. Helps me keep my upper back braced for a smoother roll and recommend it.

Eva Pelegrin

Thank you Jon. I like the broomstick too! This is how I teach hollow body. Everybody gets a stick no matter what variation: prone, supine :D

Julia Quigley
On April 19, 2016 at 8:11 PM, Eva Pelegrin said:

Thank you Jon. I like the broomstick too! This is how I teach hollow body. Everybody gets a stick no matter what variation: prone, supine :D

 

image.jpeg