This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

What to make of drastic decrease in reps one workout to the next?

Started by Cameron Williams, April 14, 2016 · 6 Replies · 218 Views

Cameron Williams

I just completed my HBP/PE1 component and I dropped 10 reps total from my last workout.

What do I make of this, if anything?

(Before anyone suggests it, yes I'm following GB Pro+ ;))

My RC and sPL numbers improved, but HBP went way down for some reason.

Anybody else ever experience anything like this? Insights?

Cheers,

Cam

Jason Guitreau

I'll lose a few reps after a couple nights of compromised sleep, especially if it's skill work. 

Jon Douglas

As a once-off, I'd write it off as a bad day. Twice and I'd have an in depth look at what was going on the day before :)

Douglas Wadle

almost certainly this is lack of recovery.  look at your sleep, nutrition, other stresses, etc.  also look at time between workouts.  2 days apart, maybe that's the issue.  2 weeks apart...the same.  3-5 days apart, should be adequately recovered.  

Cameron Williams

Thanks guys... I'll see how my next workout goes and go from there.

I had 5 days of rest from my last workout so I don't think that would be it. Could be sleep, as I had two mediocre sleeps in a row (although the quality of my sleep is never really stellar, so I'm relatively used to that). For nutrition I've been following Thrive since early January, although I had a smaller-than-usual dinner and breakfast before today's workout.

Ill keep an eye on my meal size and sleep and see what happens :)

Cam

Jason Guitreau

Now that I have I little more time to respond, I'll add some notes about the effects of diet and physical performance. I'm no expert but at 45 I've been doing Brazilian jiu-jitsu and supplemental strength training for 6 years. In bjj, we go hard sometimes. On Sunday's we grapple for 5 minutes, rest for 30 seconds and repeat as often as possible for 2 hours. I noticed some days I could go to the end and felt like I could keep going and some days I would gas out and get crushed. So I started tracking sleep, resting heart rate, resting breath hold times, and watching how sleep and diet effected my performance. The effects of poor sleep was easily seen. My rhr was uneffected but RBH was reduced and in bjj, I get mentally defeated. Diet was a little harder to figure out but here's what works for me. Eat plants, vegetables, meat, fish, no sugar or processed foods. Monitor you rhr after you eat a food. If your heart rate increases more than 10 bpm, or your breath hold decreases significantly, either that food doesn't agree with you or you ate too much. Your body will be using energy to deal with it so you won't have the same energy available for your training. For me, I've learned my best training is in a fasted state. I'll skip breakfast and train no later than noon. Second best is to train 4-5 hours after my meal, or eat something small and easy to digest a couple hours before I train. Sugars, starchy carbs, or too much caffeine will also derail me. I have most of my carbs after training. It took me a while to get where I'm at, but I now manage to hold my own going against the young guys in the gym. 

Cameron Williams

Excellent info Jason - thank you very much!