This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sPL/PE5 Form Check

Started by Cameron Williams, April 14, 2016 · 9 Replies · 230 Views

Cameron Williams

Here's my latest attempt:

The instructions I got on the last form check were to drop my hips and get my heels together. I worked on that but it seems like there's a "sag" in my lower back.

Is this a problem? I feel like I'm PPT'ing as much as I possibly can....

Comments appreciated!

Cam

Cameron Williams

Anyone?

Keilani Gutierrez

Hey Cameron :) 

just saw the video. something we see commonly done in planche leans is we start with a particular bodyline while in plank and lose it once we lean. the PPT can also be worked on, this will come from moving the hips in line with shoulders and also working on quad flexibility. 

try these two things out and we can see how the lean feels / looks and go from there :) 

Cameron Williams

Thanks Keilani :)

I will definitely work on that. I feel like I'm PPT'ing as much as I possibly can, and I've been doing front split since it came out. I guess it just takes time?

Cameron Williams

Here's one more attempt.... I filmed without my shirt on, as I thought it might be easier to see form details:

I PPT'd as much as I know how... is this any better, or is it still insufficient?

Keilani Gutierrez

okay, this is what I meant previously. when we lean into planche elements, we do one of two things. one is we "curl/press" the other is we "lean". check these two photos. in the first one, i have a lean created by my arms making an angle relative to my body. in the second one, I'm simply hunched over. notice how in your video you begin with a hunch and then straighten out, somewhat? if you practice on leaning WITH the body line of a plank, I personally feel a lot of pressure in my upper back and delts. if you've noticed you lose the lean you begin with it's because of that "curling" action that we think is the lean in the planche, when in reality it isn't. try the following cues: assume plank position, focus on body line, drag yourself forward with straight arms and you'll feel at a certain point when you begin the drag that you are now doing a counter force(as if your body wants to return to plank) only this time, you need to remain with the body line TIGHT or else you'll revert to having a hunched over back instead of actually performing a planche lean. makes sense?


2016-04-02 00.23.36.jpg2016-04-02 00.23.25.jpg

Alessandro Mainente

Remember that he level of the curl of the spine is a result of the proper muscles activation. In fact you can curl your spine a lot without activating the scapulae muscles (like the lower /middle traps) but this is wrong and basically it is what's happen in the second photo of Keilani.

Proper spine curl is reduced when it is achieved by correct muscles activation and nothing more, hyper flexing the spine moves the scapulae muscles in a position of hyper-elongation that is not optimal for strength generation during the stabilization needed for the upper arm. limiting the spine flexion as a consequence of correct muscles moves the stretch into the optimal position for strength generation. like the first photo that Keilani showed.

Cameron Williams

This is excellent information! Thank you Keilani for taking the time to take the photos and explain all of that - very much appreciated :)

Alessandro - thank you as well... super helpful. I'm much more clear now about what I need to work on.

I'm looking forward to my next workout ^_^

Keilani Gutierrez

the devil is in the details :) proper planche work has had an incredible effect on my Handstand.

godspeed!

Cameron Williams

Wow, so I just tried some sets, keeping in mind the advice above, and they were WAY harder than my normal sets.

The intensity was much higher with less lean... amazing.

I can feel the trap engagement much more intensely, not to mention the force on my forearms and biceps.

So awesome... despite having to go back a few steps, I'm pumped about the increase in intensity.

Thanks again :)