This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS/PE1 & iM

Started by Julia Quigley, April 13, 2016 · 11 Replies · 174 Views

Julia Quigley

Here's another "starting from scratch" video to check form before retesting mastery.

The mobility part is SO weird to my body, I'm not sure what's what. But it does look like I need to keep my feet better grounded. Maybe someone can talk me through where the rotation is coming from and how this should "feel"?

 

Maksis Riley

Beautiful deck squats Julia! Because they are so clean and fluid I would just add that you point your toes too :)

 

With the skiers, I believe we are aiming to keep the knees relatively stationary and then work the hips outwards. I.e the rotation wants to happen at the knees as much as possible. Whereas in your video the hips are staying quite central and the knees are being displaced; we are shooting for the opposite.

 

Hope that helps

Max

 

Cole Dano

Maksis is right about the skiers, it might help to know that all the early SLS iM's are part of Coach Sommer's knee series.

In this one, I like to tell my students to feel as if the shins always face forward.

Julia Quigley

Thanks, @Maksis Riley and @Cole Dano!

It's a relief to know I was right about moving on from at least ONE element. And it's good to know I was doing one pretty much the opposite of how it's supposed to be done :lol:

I'll think about keeping my shins forward and moving my hips.

Julia Quigley

Here are my updated skiers. What do you think? (Besides the fact I look slightly robotic haha!). 

Also, I've started feeling a pinch in my hip during the deck squats :( any idea what could cause that?

Cole Dano

That's the idea. No need to reach your hands down to the floor at the end of the pivot, just keep your chest up so it's your behind that's going down.

Julia Quigley

Whew! Progress! Thanks, Cole. 

Comparing myself to the course video re: your comment, it looks like my depth ROM is fine, I just need to keep my chest up while maintaining that ROM. Does that sound right? 

Cole Dano

Yes, you got it.

Julia Quigley

Thanks! I'll post an update soon. 

Julia Quigley

Well, @Cole Dano, this update wasn't soon at all due to hip issues, but I've gotten back to working on it and wanted to see if this is in the right direction?

 

Cole Dano

Hey Julia, that looks good.

What's the situation with your hip now? Are deck squats still bothering them?

Julia Quigley

Thanks! 

Since I already achieved mastery on the deck squats, I just haven't been doing them and letting my hip rest while I started the stretch series.

but I don't think my hip is all better yet :/ I can't do the single leg forward fold without pain in my hip, for example. I've started using band distraction during that exercise, and that helps.

The brief reps of Cossack squat in the stretch series haven't aggravated my hip, so hoping I can move on and not aggravate it while I continue to stretch the hip and work on lifestyle improvements (standing and walking more).