This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

RC/Pe1 form check

Started by Shane Hille, April 12, 2016 · 20 Replies · 507 Views

Shane Hille

Hey guys,

I have been working on the RC/Pe1 for quite a while now and I am still struggling with it. I have been performing these with my hip positioned as my first video thinking I was directly below the rings. But when I watched myself after the recording I noticed this wasn't the case at all. I wondered if my hips shouldn't be directly 'under' the rings. I did another vid with my hips moved more to the back. I am wondering which is correct and how my form in general is. Also are the rings on the right height? 

I know the video of the foundation should be sufficient but I am having a hard time finding the correct form. Cheers!

 

Julia Quigley

Hi! This gives a lot of people trouble (myself included!).

I can't speak comprehensively to your form, but I do see that your hips aren't far enough back/right under the rings.  

Currently, when you're at the top position you can't finish sitting up and your arms are way behind you. Your hips need to be under the rings for you to finish hinging and not have your neck craned out. 

In another RC/PE1 form thread recently, a moderator recommended starting at the top position and moving your feet back until you're in the right position, with hips under the rings, and then proceeding with your reps.

I hope this helps! I think you'll find relevant information by reading other threads in the form checks subforum. 

Shane Hille

Hi Julia, 

Thanks. Yeah, I have seen a lot of topics regarding this progression. My hips are still not back up far enough on the second video? 

I'll try your advice by starting at the top position next time, see how that goes.

Julia Quigley

Oh, embarrassing. Maybe I shouldn't read form checks late at night when I'm tired.

Hip position looks a lot better in the second video! Looks like you're still finishing the movement by straining your chest and neck forward. Also, looks like to me like your hands are too close to your shoulders at the top position (when we're supposed to aim for 90 degrees).

That said, my observations may need correction and I have no idea how to to suggest fixing what I've mentioned. I only commented because I felt confident in responding to the first video :P

@Zach Armijo, save me from myself!

Julia Quigley

Is that Shia LaBeouf? I'm dying. 

Eva Pelegrin

Shane, you may want to take a look at my thread below where Zach shares his wisdom. Although I never received the privilege of his artwork, he gave me damn good advice!

 

Shane Hille

Hahaha, thanks Zach, that makes perfect sense. Also checked your thread Eva. This surely will help tremendously.

I will play around with this for a while and upload a video next week. Cheers!

Shane Hille

So, I have been working on fixing my arms to get 90/90. I decided to film from the front this time to get a better view of this. This is where I am at now. The only problem I have with this and getting above 12 reps is my lower arms feeling like they are starting to fall off. Also I try to push my head through less, but I guess this is still something to work on. Anyway, arm position better like this?

 

Tracey Weaver

 

I don't know if it makes a difference but look at the way the athlete starts and finishes the move and the way the rings face.  It is opposite of what you are doing.  Like I said I don't know if it makes a difference... Just thought I would throw that out there. :-) lol 

 

image.jpg

Shane Hille

Hi Tracey, 

Thanks for your reply. I've read in other threads that this doesn't matter too much as this is more of a personal preference. I will try it next time though, see how it feels. :)

Tracey Weaver

Good to know.  I kinda wondered myself. :)

Mitchell Church

I'm surprised to hear that it doesn't matter much.  I thought the movement trained external rotation and the position of the hands can really help with that aspect.

Shane Hille

Zach actually posted about the hand positioning in in the topic of Eva here: 

" Grip is mostly preference at this point until noted in later elements such as chin holds, front levers, etc... "

Shane Hille

So i am still working  on these and I am getting closer to 5x15 reps, currently at 5x13. But with the new instruction videos up I am confused. The athlete isn't having the 90/90 arm degree.  I'm loving the new videos but this one is making things a bit confusing.

Hingerow.JPG

Wayne Grima

Hi, I'm giving this a bump because I have also noticed that on the SL/PE2 instructional video where in that video

the athlete's head is way below her hips and that was something pointed out in my form check videos  that I was

doing that should be corrected, which I did and the exercise felt better, like it was working me more and in the right

areas.

 

Shane my unqualified critique would say in your last form check filmed from the front that it looked very tidy and form

was good as long as you were coming up far enough which was hard to judge from the front. I think I've finally got the

form correct on these, just a matter of doing the required 5x15. It's really tough because I'm just about out of gas from

the previous 3 elements by the time I get to RC. I've been going since October 2015 with these lol

Cole Dano

Hinge rows are another example of a basic exercise that can have many flavors to it. Particularly with regard to how far the elbows go down. 

The 90 - 90 angles Zack and I are looking for puts more emphasis on the rotator cuff; and the lower elbows variation, on the biceps. 

I'm not sure about the set up in the demo video, we've been more on the side of setting up from top position to help get the angles right, which better insures the head will wind up over the hips. Generally the biggest factor here is tight hamstrings, which prevent being able to get the head over the hips comfortably.

Seeing as there are different variations out there, I'll give my preferences, but won't stop a person from proceeding if they fall within the range of acceptable variations.

Shane Hille

Thanks Wayne and Cole for your replies.

I've also been working on these for quite some time. (Beginning of this year) I feel I am getting really close to the 5x15 now. Had 3x14 2x13 last week. Just got to keep working on them and have patience. :) 

What you are saying makes perfect sense Cole. Thanks. 

Tracey Weaver

Not quite ready for mastery but thought I would post a sample of my form for this movement.

Am I good to keep working this form while working to the full rep scheme?

THANK YOU!

 

Tracey Weaver

Oh I know... Lol...it is so in the way.  I had just did my PE1.5 for push ups and I do it on that bar.  Sorry!!!

My arms are not at 90 but I thought that since the gal in the demo was not, that if we had a solid hip hinge movement, it was satisfactory?

i will reshoot the video and try not to pull so high and place it in my form check thread.  Thanks! 

Marcus Patterson

I thought you had to be directly under the rings, they look like they lean out a little?

Eva Pelegrin

Marcus, you have the right idea. You sit right under the rings or a tad behind them (after you've determined the proper ring height for you) and when you grab the rings and lean back to begin tour hinge rows, the straps will pull back slightly. That's ok.