This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Wrist stretch #2 pics & question

Started by Craig Copeland, April 12, 2016 · 4 Replies · 170 Views

Craig Copeland

I had never done any stretch like wrist stretch #2 before I started H1 last summer.

One photo shows the "natural" position of my right arm when I attempt wrist stretch #2.  My right arm is bent like a bow.

I have to FIGHT to get my right arm straightened out (the other photo).  My left arm stays straight in this position with no effort.  I injured my right wrist about 5 years ago in a fall, but not bad enough to seek medical attention.  Other than that, no history of injury or problem.

Two questions:  1) does the position of that arm matter in this stretch?  2) is there a chance I messed up my wrist 5 years ago in such a way that I've been compensating for that injury and now have this weird immobility?  Thanks, Craig

 

IMG_1003.JPG

IMG_1013.JPG

Douglas Wadle

There's clearly something abnormal there, but it's probably not bony or you wouldn't be able to do it.  Keep slowly working this, don't push to the point of pain, and I will expect it to improve over time substantially.  It's good you are doing this now.  This is exactly the type of restrictions to movement that would otherwise lead to degenerative joint disease in that wrist as you get older.  I do wrist series and shoulder series every day before every workout as part of the warmup.  You may benefit from more frequent low level work on this.  

Guido Franchetti

Hi Craig, I have a similar problem with my left wrist: it takes me more effort to fully straighten it and I still find the position in WS 2 a bit uncomfortable, while it feels fine on my right wrist. I broke the left wrist some years ago, it never bothered me but it is might be related. Anyway, since I have been working on it it improved, if slowly. I recently asked in the forum if it would be profitable to move on to nexte PEs, and coach's answer was to stay on PE1 and give the wrist the time to adapt. Probably the same applies to your situation. Here is the post

Craig Copeland

Thank you Douglas and Guido.  I'll add this to my daily limbering.

Side note:  as great as the course materials are, these forums might be where the real value is.  I get professional feedback every time I ask a question.  Cool.

-Craig

Leonhard Krahé

Hi Craig,

starting out I had similar issues with that stretch, even though more moderate than you - it was uncomfortable bordering to painful and I had to force myself into the right position. Over time (and without me noticing it) it got a lot better even though my forearms still have a lot of room for improvement.